Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How long can my truck sit before it needs to run?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BROWN616 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I have a simple question here that I'm sure everyone will have a different answer. How long can my truck sit (not plugged in, not ran) before it needs to be driven? I fly all over the US for work (currently in Chicago for a week, then I'll be in San Francisco), so I'm thinking about asking my mom or someone to "truck sit" for me and run the truck every so often if it is a big issue that it sits. I'm only supposed to be out for 3 weeks, but sometimes I might not be back for 3-4 months at a time.

#2 ·
I let mine sit for six months for the same reasons. I filled the tank with diesel, put diesel formulated stabil in, put a solar powered trickle charger on the battery and it fired up like a champ when I ran it six months later.

Reactions: WD40
#3 ·
Probably the single most important thing is leave it with the fuel tank full. Any air space in the tank and temperature changes will cause condensation. Batteries are another other thing, solar or a battery tender is a good idea. The 6.0 turbo can give you problems if left sitting for long periods of time. A SS unison ring from Charlie in your turbo could help there. Just having someone start it up once in awhile won't hurt unless it's just warmed up a little, that can cause condensation in the engine too. What'll help most is having it driven at operating temp to burn that condensation out and keep the turbo freed up. If nothing else, when you get home drive it easy till it's up to temp then drive it like you stole it for awhile, and you and your truck will be happy to be back together :thumb:

#4 ·
I fly back home Monday so I'll try that. I always thought it was better to leave a vehicle that is going to sit with as little fuel as possible, but it makes sense to fill it up.

#5 ·
That might be the thinking for a gas burner since gas goes stale. Diesel will last much longer, if it does get moisture in it that's what the biocides are for

Reactions: Red Ford
#12 ·
Wish I'd known about that trick. I let my truck sir a week in the airport parking lot. Got in to start it and the oil temp was 20 degrees per my sct. It fired right up but man what a lope.

Don't you need to be careful with battery tenders. Think my dad was saying he would burn all the water or if his batteries. They need to be on a timer right

#7 ·
If your going to be gone for up to six mo. at a time, I would make sure it has a fresh oil change along
with filters. The Batteries Tender is almost a must. If it can be parked inside, that would be a big plus.
Doug

#8 ·
What if I just take the batteries out all together? Would that be better than a battery tender? I know it'll be more work but it's also a precaution where I know it'll be very difficult for anyone to steal the truck while I'm gone lol. Unfortunately no in door parking, got too many tools in the garage. For the next 3 and a half years I have to fly back home every ~3 months for training for a week so I'm guaranteed to be back every few months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.