Question about warranty and diagnostic - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about warranty and diagnostic

I was just wondering what others have encountered when taking their truck in for warranty work.

My truck has been making the tea kettle whistle sound for a few weeks now. I had a appointment booked last Saturday to take my truck in. I thought I was only going to be responsible for the $100 deductible. But I arrived at ford last Saturday to drop the truck of and I was told I would be responsible for a "diesel engine diagnostic fee" that day. Then if whatever problem they find is covered under my warranty I will also have to pay a $100 deductible the day the repairs are done.

A little surprised I asked what a "diesel engine diagnostic fee" costs. I got the usual dealership bull**** of well we wont know until we get the truck in blah blah. I then told the lady at the counter that she can just hand me my keys cause Im leaving with the truck. After much pressure and interrogation from me I found out the diagnostic is fixed rate of 2 hours at a $130 labor rate a hour.

In the end I ended up leaving with my truck because the lady at the counter started going on about how my truck was booked in for cold start issues when I had spent 30 minutes at the dealership the previous weekend booking a appointment and explaining to some other lady about my puking and venting from the degas bottle.

My opinion is why do they call it warranty when I am responsible for 2 hours at $130 a hour to diagnose the problem and then another $100 for a deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to cxrxaxz
I dont know what kind of bs they are trying to sell you but i would locate another dealer around there. The couple times I have taken my truck in for warranty work all I pay is the 100 dollars and thats it. I have to pay extra if they have to do something not covered by the warranty but its always reasonable. I have taken it in for some stuff not covered by warranty and they have charged me the diag fee but it was only 75.00 flat rate fee.....they are trying to jip you. find another dealer to do the warranty repair.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:29 AM

Well I ended up taking it too another dealer and have it booked in for next thursday. I was told the same thing about having to pay for the diagnostic fee except this dealership only charges $112.50 per hour.

The dealership I went to the first time is a pretty ****ty dealership to deal with. I shouldnt have even wasted my time with them.

I have a good feeling about the other dealership I am going to take it too since they have lift kits on display in the showroom and even MBRP exhaust systems. They seem kinda cool with the whole aftermarket stuff so hopefully if they decide my headgaskets are gone I will be able to get them to put in arp studs.

Has anybody else had to pay for a diagnostic to get warranty work done? Or is it another one of those canada only things
Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

The way it works here is the ticket is written up as customer pay, even if the vehicle is under warranty. However, the way this works is we take your truck in, and determine if somehow the problem with your truck was something the customer caused (programmers jacked way up, or something rigged together that caused a failure) However, we never tell the customer that they are going to have to pay a diag fee if their truck is still under warranty. 99.9% of the time, if the vehicle is under warranty, the customer is responsible for their deductible and nothing more. That .1 percent of the time is when you find, say blown headgaskets and look in the truck and find their Edge cranked up to EXTREME. We had this one time, and we told the customer, here is what we found and this is why we cannot warranty this repair. In the end, the customer replaced his headgaskets, and I also recommended he install ARP studs, which he did.

--The dealer assumes that whatever is wrong with your truck is covered by your warrany, if your warranty is still in effect. If for some reason it isnt, you must agree to pay for further diag or anything like that, before they go any farther.

I may be getting a little off topic, but what I am trying to say is you were right for not leaving your truck. If your truck is under warranty, and you didnt do anything to void it, you are not responsible for anything more than the $100 deductible.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to cxrxaxz
man that sucks, I called another dealer that is a little further from me to ask them about this for you. They said if its warranty work then all I pay is 100.00. Basically its the same thing as the other dealer except they do charge diag fee by the hour but its only 60.00 but not when its warranty work only for out of warranty work. I still think your getting jipped. Is there anymore in the area that you can call? I mean if your truck is drivable still i think it would be worth it if you could find one that isnt going to charge you an extra 100-300 dollars.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke Techie

What I can add to it, is service advisors in EVERY dealership are responsible for taking the vehicle in, and releasing it. Releasing the vehicle mandates the advisor collects payment for services rendered, failing which they are reamed a new butt hole by the service manager and/or the dealer principal. If you are ever charged money for a repair that is covered under warranty, and it is discovered shortly after, when the warranty adminstrator submits the claim to the manufacturer for reimbursement, a couple of things comes into play. A, you will get a phone call and a refund of the amount you paid, B the manufacturer (read district area rep) will come down hard on the dealership in question if this occurs consistently enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.