Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Head gaskets..?

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  mhatlen 
#1 ·
Looks like I am going to need head gaskets again on my truck.

I used OEM gaskets last time with ARP studs.

Is the recommendation to still use the OEM gaskets and ARP studs or is there something better or just as good that I should try since this is the second time?

Thanks

#2 ·
Yes still oem gaskets and arp studs. The only thing I would do different is to o-ring the heads when you have them machined

#3 ·
OEM gaskets are what you want to use. The cylinder heads MUST be surfaced and block prep is extremely important.
I would for sure have your cylinder heads o-ringed that will keep you from doing this job for a third time.

Most likely either your heads were not flat or the block was not properly prepared. Go with o-ringing the heads and OEM gaskets. Not sure how many miles on on your engine but a valve job at the same time would be a good idea.

Also go through your turbo, a locked up turbo is what causes the most head gasket failures.

#10 ·
Also go through your turbo, a locked up turbo is what causes the most head gasket failures.
Uhm.....I have been around her a while..... But I have never heard anyone having gasket issue because of a locked up turbo.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

#4 ·
You could look into fel-pro gaskets last I checked they looked promising.

#6 ·
That's really not too surprising to me. Fel Pro has always been a top performer going waay back in the late 70's when I was in the automotive business. Id love to see some data on their head gaskets.
One thing for sure is you wont see anyone try the 4 head bolts per cylinder again in the diesel industry. At least not in the engine sizes comparable to our beloved 6.0

But as time has gone by the issues with the 6 liter were addressed and solved by many different companies. All in all its one of the best Powerstrokes made now that it has updated parts available.

One more thing you should for sure get for your truck is new 6.0/6.4 pushrods. Another updated part that was figured out by Ford and not International. These new pushrods are 0.55 shorter then the original pushrods which lowers the hydraulic disc height in the lifters to a level where there is more hydraulic lifter cushion from the valve trane.
Which puts less stress on the camshaft and roller bearing at the bottom of the lifters. They are around $4.00 each IIRC, get them for sure.
I wish I knew about them when I had my engine Bulletproofed at NORCAL Automotive. They do call their PowerStroke package BulletProof there and I have their big fancy decal under the hood of my truck today. But I see BPD is suing PSH for stating that phrase, so who knows if that's still done. But again they are a BPD approved shop and they do install a lot of their products. Only thing they put on my truck was their BPD water pump. I said the hell with the oil cooler I just don't need it.

Anyways I'm done rambling but I too would guess Fel Pro head gaskets are a quality item. That said it would take some pretty healthy data before I put them into my truck. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is still pretty warm. Need more time and more pudding eaters.

#12 ·
errrr.... a.....correct me if I'm wrong but HG failure occurs when the gasket can no longer hold up under the cylinder pressure. (Can a locked up turbo cause that?) How much pressure is needed to blow the gasket can depend on a number of things not the least of which is a clean, straight mating surface for the gasket to seal against.

k

#14 ·
I'm not %100 on this.....Butttt overboost would throw a code and cuases refuel.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

#16 ·
Bad egr coolers is the #1 cuase of stock Ford 6.0 headgasket failures.

#17 ·
I would have to say the plugged up oil coolers is a big one for sure. That of coarse destroys the EGR cooler too.

I'm not keeping score on what's blowing head gaskets just repeating what I've been told. Which can get you in trouble I suppose lol.
Shop is NOR-CAL Automotive in Eureka,Ca

The owner is who told me that the turbos are the biggest cause outside of abuse basically. Which I can understand how constant pressure all of the time can be a problem. It's a good shop that much I know.

Anyways that my story and I'm sticking to it. Fix your damn turbo.

Reactions: Gadgetguru
#18 ·
Main issue wouldn't be cruising. It would be towing up a steep grade. I could definitely see stuck open veins causing the heads to lift there

#19 ·
Stuck turbo vanes is one of the leading theories as to why the 6.7 Cummins is blowing HGs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.