Stupid Question, Sorry - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid Question, Sorry

As the title says this is a stupid question, so here goes. When checking the oil do you go all the way down, i.e. bottom out the cap OR do you only go until the bottom of the cap touches the tube? Reason I ask I was browsing around on the org last night and I read where someone said to do this? They said this is what their owners manual said to do? I've been checking oil on vehicles for a long as I can remember and I've always went all the way down, but considering this is my first diesel I figured I might ask.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

I can't beleive someone hasn't commented on this. No one else is curious?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i go all the way down till the tube bottoms out. the only reason i can think of that someone might not, is that the 6.0 is happiest when the oil level is in the middle of the lines on the dipstick. so only taking the dipstick down till the yellow handle hits the tube is giving them the reading they want???
but anyway, i take mine to the bottom and only fill it to the middle of the lines.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Serving Our Country!

Yea that's what I do. I was just curious since I read where someone hadn't and they referenced it from their manual?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Anyone else???
Old 11-06-2009, 03:42 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Let me go look in my owners manual. BRB
Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

"Because it is normal to add some oil between oil changes, check your engine oil level each time you stop for fuel. To check the engine oil level consistently and accurately, the following procedure is recommended:

1. Have engine at normal operating temperature (at least in to NORMAL range on the engine collant temperature guage).

2. Park the vehicle on a level surace, then turn off the engine and open the hood.

3. Allow at least 20 minutes after engine shut down to assure that the oil contained in the upper parts fo the engine has returned to the oil pan.

4. Protecting yourself from engine heat, pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert fully.

5. read oil level on both sides of dipstick and use hightest level (reading) for the actual engine oil level.

6. Maintain the oil level between ADD and OPERATING RANGE on the dipstick by adding oil as required. The distance from ADD to OPERATING RANGE on the dipstick represents 1.9L (2 quarts). Do not overfill. If the oil level exceeds OPERATING RANGE, oil consumption may result."

With being said "reinsert fully" I would insert the dipstick untill it stops in the tube. Thats what I've done since I've owned mine as well as every other car/truck. Hope that helps Top. Maybe sometime if you don't mind I would like to take a look at your bypass system.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea who is gonna sit at a fuel station 20 minutes to wait to check their oil??? haha
Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabadf250 View Post
Yea who is gonna sit at a fuel station 20 minutes to wait to check their oil??? haha
That's a sticky point with me. I'll go get my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube. They pull the truck in, raise the hood, pull the dipstick, wipe, run it down and back out and come in to tell my my oil is low. I say "No, it's not." I tell them I check my oil in the driveway at my house in the morning after it's sat all night. The oil level is fine. You'd think because they work at an oil change place they would know that.....
Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
That's a sticky point with me. I'll go get my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube. They pull the truck in, raise the hood, pull the dipstick, wipe, run it down and back out and come in to tell my my oil is low. I say "No, it's not." I tell them I check my oil in the driveway at my house in the morning after it's sat all night. The oil level is fine. You'd think because they work at an oil change place they would know that.....
its jiffy lube...heres a good one for you guy,
girl brings jeep to jiffy lube for a oil and filter change
girl leaves and on her way home she calls me and says, my oil light is on and i just had them change my oil...did they forget to reset something? and BTW its making a funny ticking noise.

well it turns out that they guys there forgot to put oil back in.

this is way i do all my own work or have the ford service dept do it

back on point..i set the dip stick all the way down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.