Annoying Exhaust... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Annoying Exhaust...

Anyone get annoyed with there strait pipe? Dont get me wrong i love the sound of my strait pipe..especially at WOT... But, my truck sees alot of idle time..not too long, but im switching trailers and loading and unloading stuff all the time and i dont like shutting it off unless im staying awhile, It gets really annoying with the loud azz pipe right there when im hooking up trailers and throwing stuff in the bed..you can hardly hold a convo with somone when your within 40 feet of the truck if your on the right side of it.. what can i do to fix this, I KNOW the obvious answer is throw a muffler on it, but i really dont want one

I was curious, would a single 6" stack make it better?, I would think getting the sound more up and out might make it better when the trucks at idle.. I dont know.. what have you guys with a stack noticed with the change? I know its louder overall when driving, especially in the cab, but i dont really mid that.. i just want to be able to stand next to the truck and be able to talk on the phone or hear someone talk to me..

Also, is there an exhaust smell issue in the cab with a stack, i dont have a rear slider so thats not any issue, but can you sit at a stop light with the window down without getting choked out? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 PM

I put a stack on mine party because of what your talking about, I hated being around my 5" straight pipe w/muff delete especially on these hot Texas days out in the hayfield.

I have a rear slider and the only time I get some exhaust in the truck is when the windows open and I'm rollin coal. With rear slider closed and windows down, no problems.

And just because I can throw this in here..I'm upgrading to a 8" miter
Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 PM

You could try a turn down under the bed first....just an idea, won't cost much at all to find out....
Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 PM

not a bad idea, i think turn downs are really stupid looking though.. i actually thought about re-doing the exit so my pipe tucked up under the bed a bit and point the tip down at a 45 or so.. same concept as a turn down, just better looking...maybe
Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 PM

The turn down I was thinking of you won't be able to see at all.....do it before the axle.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Chapter Director

if you do a turn down then you are going to start coating the under carriage with soot. and i found out the hard way it will start to discolor your rear bumper.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM

yeah, i dont think there really is a solution, every set-up had its downfall..might as well save myself the labor and leave it alone..thanks for the input anyways.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
They "cones" for the ends of headers. I was going to go this route on my 65 Galaxie when driving to local shows. Maybe get one of those cones for your tail pipe when you want it quiet?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Im just going to ditch the cat and keep the muffler. It will still sound awesome under acceleration but when your just sitting there it wont be so loud. Kinda best of both worlds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.