Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Odd Whistle coming off throttle

33K views 289 replies 35 participants last post by  scottyscheff1 
#1 ·
I've recently developed a faint low pitched whistle when coming off the throttle up to about 45 mph. It doesn't seem to do it (or I can't hear it) above 50 mph. I can also occasionally hear it at low speed, low load conditions at light throttle too. If you listen closely to the video, you can hear it when I let out of the throttle. First instance is about :20 in.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've recently developed a faint low pitched whistle when coming off the throttle up to about 45 mph. It doesn't seem to do it (or I can't hear it) above 50 mph. I can also occasionally hear it at low speed, low load conditions at light throttle too. If you listen closely to the video, you can hear it when I let out of the throttle.

Yea mine has been doing that lately so when it's cold and I start it that brief 2 seconds that turbo is not activated it doesn't do it then it does it sounds like a hose is pissing air out when it warms up I don't tend to hear it as much then it's like I hear it in a way that it coensides with my throttle when I press gas peddle it gets louder then let off it gets quieter?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I cant hear it sorry :dunno:
on my old original 03 turbo it strted a whine turned to a sqeal and the bearing ate themselves :doh:

I kinda hope that doesn't help but...

#4 ·
I cant hear it sorry :dunno:

on my old original 03 turbo it strted a whine turned to a sqeal and the bearing ate themselves :doh:

I kinda hope that doesn't help but...

Dang so need to have my mechanic buddy check it out he's replacing oil cooler,intercooler, water pump soon and by the way I need to get a list of upgrades I should do while the top is torn apart got any suggestions new hpop screen , new turbo drain line?

#7 ·
it's not the blow off bub I'm not that retarded it's verbatim like a whistle and not the turbo whistle it has force with it loud and strong I'll figure it out next week and post results,as far as truck it's 2005 I've got 4 inch turbo back , air intake SCT with the pannie dropper tune and let me tell ya those guys know what they are doing ,TSD is the **** I recommend them over innovative i ran innovative for 2 years and they come in second place. I am adding air BD intercooler, BD trans pan and water pump when I do the oil cooler just waiting on the package as we speak. Thanks for the advice if y'all think of anything to update in next few days let me know it's getting work done this coming Wednesday I've also added s mishimoto radiator and psp diesel all aluminum degas bottle it's got the egr delete and it's studded.

#10 ·
Relax, man. There isn't a blow off valve on these trucks unless you or a prior owner installed it and even then it isn't really necessary. John simply said that it sounds similar to that sound. There was no implication to your supposed mental capacity. Regardless, it sounds like you have decided to spend a bunch of money on some parts; some of which are not exactly ones that most of us would recommend. Specifically, you might want to read some of the threads about people not being very happy with the performance of the Mishimoto radiators. Granted those were 6.4 owners, but if that's how they treat their customers, you might want to reconsider. There are other options that are a better value.

#13 ·
you are correct...
what i was able to hear did not seem to go with rpm or spool speed, which made me think a leak in the blow off instead of the typical turbo fart?
but again my ears are not what they used to be so? :dunno:

glad I could help :look:

#16 ·
I agree bub....

#17 ·
All these posts and no help with my whistle problem. Why do I even bother. :doh: :hehe: :poke

I'm dealing with a head cold and a stomach virus right now and it was wet and dreary all day so I didn't get to poke around like I planned. Guess I'll listen to the whistle a while longer.

Reactions: john galt
#18 ·
Wow, you can hear that with a head cold?? I can't even hear myself talk when i've got one. Maybe after you clear up, you will be able to better locate it. Till then...here's to poking around :beer: :scuffy

-jokester

#20 ·
It's about :23 and again at about :33. It's faint but it's there. Definitely not a screech.

#21 ·
Sorry we haven't provided better help bub. I haven't been able to narrow it down either based on the video.

Maybe @peixinho might have some thoughts.

By the way, hope you feel better soon... bub.

#22 ·
Thanks bub.

#24 ·
add a couple of letters and it's all good

bub·ba
ˈbəbə/
nounNorth Americaninformal
noun: bubba; plural noun: bubbas

used as an informal or affectionate form of address to a brother.
"my sister has always called me bubba"
derogatory
a working-class white male of the rural South. ( thats most of us minus the location lol )

Origin
late 19th century: alteration of brother.
Translate bubba to
Use over time for: bubba

#25 ·
Here, drink this windex and it will solve all your problems.

I can hear a very very faint whistle but I hear it through the whole video........... You sure its turbo or air related? Might be worth checking belts and hubs. It might be just me, but the sound doesn't really change much when you let off the noise pedal.

I can definitely hear a whine though.

#26 ·
Thank you for the grammatical history lesson, Z, you are definitely a learned scholar when it comes to grammer... bubba.

#28 ·
I had to wear headphones and still could barely hear anything certainly not enough to identify...anything :hehe:
I like the belt theory...?

#29 · (Edited)
I had to turn my sound up all the way with headphones, but I hear what you're talking about...just don't know what it is. That's why I was surprised that you could even hear it with a head cold!

-jokester

#31 ·
I have the high idle mod connected to upfitter 4, and one time I accidentally had the upfitter 4 switch on going down the highway and it made some weird whistle noises. Just a thought.

#33 ·
Reactions: G8orFord
#37 ·
What makes you think I haven't already tried that. :look:

Reactions: john galt and ZMANN
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.