Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

MS salvage

16K views 188 replies 26 participants last post by  Beerent93 
#1 ·
Wow so today my father inlaw gave me his 6.0 but there's a catch. It's not running and it's been at a mechanic shop for over a year. Still has had insurance and registration on it. 8 have to tow it back to Florida. Anyone know if MS can sign a title over for a abondoned vehicle? I have the title. I want to pick it up Monday and hopefully the storage fees aren't crazy!

#2 ·
Bald Headed Sally can sign the pink slip on any vehicle. They aren't going to get out the magnifying glass to check the signature. Sign it yourself with your left hand :)

Reactions: lenzhotrod
#6 ·
So I have to ask.....what kind of condition is it in that your father in-law would not care about it for over a year? I understand it isn't running but even if the motor was blown, it would have salvage value or at least $$$ parting it out. No way in heck I would leave my truck anywhere for year even if the motor detonated.

Reactions: mikeb01453
#7 ·
It's in amazing condition! It's gorgeous no body damage or paint damage. I don't understand it ether... he was just tired of dealing with it. Spent 8,000 and then it messed up on him again. So he was fed up with it and just wanted to wash his hands clean.

#18 ·
I would start off by performing a basic vital statistics health check of the engine. Not to be a "Richard" (no offense to any actual Richards) but you cannot trust what the "shop" reported to you as good or not good. Get yourself good batteries, you will need a known good FICM and ECM so a donor truck will be nice to play with. Drain the engine oil and perform a shade tree analysis of what you find (hopefully 15 quarts of oil and not an oil/coolant mix or worse yet 7 quarts of coolant and no oil). Put fresh oil in (insert debate of what type oil is best here). Draining the fuel tank and starting with fresh fuel would be ideal but at the very least you have to ensure the fuel has no water in it and ascertain your fuel pressure. Look for obvious wiring harness chaffing or connectors that are not fully seated (especially around the FICM and ECM). Look at the grounds that complete the frame to engine circuit (one is on the passenger side head aft and the main ground on the passenger block just behind the air conditioner compressor). It is quite possible, given the report of "none of the injectors are firing" that FICM sync" is not happening (crank sensor, cam sensor are players in that equation).

You have a problem that when you discover it will be simple and obvious after the fact. Finding it may be a fun. It's easy to guess at what it could be. Good luck brother.

Reactions: jokester00
#14 ·
She's coming home tomorrow! Got someone picking her up and bringing her home. So spoke with the mechanic there and he said they couldn't figure it out. He said none of the injectors are firing. He said he replaced the control module and nothing. Suggestions anyone? He said the compression wasn't right but he believes it's just from not starting.

#17 · (Edited)
Control Module = FICM, right? I'm assuming he programmed it as well?

-jokester

#15 ·
Good for you. Are going to keep it or turn it?

#19 ·
Probably has a HPO leak that caused all of its problems.

Reactions: jokester00
#20 ·
Thinking about it the truck was programmed. Wonder if he changed the control module if that mattered? So hard shooting in the dark until it gets here ya know. Father inlaw said egr deleted programmed and the exhaust is done if that matters.

#25 ·
You hurt my feelings.

#27 ·
Ok that's twice now today.

Reactions: SparkyF250
#28 ·
lol...

Dang wish someone gave me a truck that nice! keep us updated. Don't be afraid of the 6.0... to many crappy mechanics ruined their reputation. A good mechanic that knows the 6.0 will save you literally thousands and set you up right the first time. I've had three of them and learned that lessen the hard way.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab another 6.0 in the future knowing what I know now. I just found a 7.3l that I couldn't pass up so I got it.

#32 ·
I hook both my chargers at same time. Set it to 2 amps and let it go. I would pull cables if you are using one charger of coarse.

#33 ·
Ok guys batteries might be ok. I can unplug both chargers and lights and dash staying on bright. Now I try and start it and nothing. No stutter no nothing. Was happy to ac work and every but now confused on why it won't even try to start unless starter is bad? Any way to test?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.