Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel gelled up?

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  billder99 
#1 ·
Left the truck outside overnight not plugged in. The temperatures got down to 17 (probably 12-15 with wind chill). Went out this morning, ECT 17 EOT 17. Let the glow plugs cycle and cranked it up. It fired right up after about 1.5 seconds (was kinda surprised at how well it cranked up) and then the truck just dies. Never applied throttle or anything it just dies. Tried it one more time with the same results. Put some PS 911 fuel treatment in it and plugged it in. Everything I read sounds like the truck should idle and be driveable at low speeds if the fuel had gelled up. Well my truck won't even idle and no codes had shown up. I haven't tried it since adding the additive and plugging it in. Really don't want to screw up an injector or anything. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
leave it plugged in for about 3 hours, that will bring it to the maximum oil temp the heater unit can. You can try cracking the fuel filter cap and putting like a table spoon of the 911 treatment in. I wouldn't put more than that directly in the fuel bowl though.

Its just cold, how would you feel being left outside all night hahaha. Also if you are running conventional 15w-40 you can run rotella t6 synthetic 5w-40 in the winter, it really, REALLY helps in cold temps and I will be doing it next time I go to Idaho in the winter.

#4 ·
Heavy FICM stayed 48-47.5 while I cranked. I didn't catch ICP before it died. Justin I get what your saying and I am running T6 5W40. I'll leave it plugged in a bit and try back later and see what happens. Maybe feather the throttle a tad bit and see if that allows to keep it running.

#6 ·
I'm confused, would it start up if it didn't have ICP or am I thinking of IPR to start?

#8 ·
I hear ya man. I'll give her some time to warm up and try it again. I'll switch screens on the CTS to get a better picture of what everything is doing and report back.

#9 ·
We'll truck seems fine. After being plugged in for an hour or so the ECT was 80 and EOT around 60. Truck fired right up and didn't skip a beat. Guess she's just a pansy and doesn't like cold weather. I'll keep her plugged in on cold nights from now on. Thanks for all the suggestions

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#13 ·
Mike, yeah i had a total engine rebuild (.20 over) + studs and updates 2K miles ago. Batteries are about a year old. duracells I believe.. cold cranking I saw 10.5ish as I cranked it over.

#14 ·
I cold started mine at 3 below yesterday afternoon, she cranked for about a second and a half and fired right up..... the key is good batteries and #1diesel fuel.

Reactions: john galt
#15 ·
I always add some white bottle power service in winter so far 15 below or so was the worst i saw but the truck fired right up.
I try to plug in and have my heater timed for about an hour before i need to go anywhere but even at 10 not plugged it has fired up in under 2 seconds. knock on wood :look:

#16 ·
Hey Heavy-GD, I am new to COLD weather here in Central Oregon (mornings 20F to -20F). Based on a mechanics recommendation I am using Howes Diesel Treat for anti-gel, but I still get "slushy" moments of no power (may or may not be gelled fuel).

What is the best anti-gel I can add to my fuel tank? Should I be using an oil additive in this weather? Any other cold weather operating tips for a COLD novice? PS: What is ICP, and how does it affect cold weather operation?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.