Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

The EGR Delete Fan fix

16K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  G8orFord 
#1 ·
Hey y'all
My wife bought be a 2006 f-250 as a wedding gift.(don't know if she hates me or loves me lol) it has ARP head studs I'm about to put on a 4" turbo back exhaust and Egr delete. My question is I've seen people saying that deleting the egr keeps the fan clutch from engaging. Will a SCT tuner fix this problem or just turn the check engine light off. Thanks a lot for all y'all do

#5 ·
The EGR delete is getting rid of the EGR cooler. The (exhaust) output of the EGR cooler is what is regulated by the valve. No cooler/no output. Your valve will be valving with nothing to valve.

Reactions: thebierguy
#8 ·
No problem. Your question was reasonable.

You should know that the PCM monitors the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor to see if opening/closing the EGR vlave causes the expected increase/decrease in intake temp. Your deleted system will obviously fail to meet the criteria.

The model years react differently. Given your model year, it will likely set a P0401 code and - perhaps - even set a CEL. I believe that this can be tuned away. It's no big deal either way, if it doesn't bother you. Just FYI...

#7 ·
An alternative to leaving the valve plugged in would be to get the 1997 7.3 fan clutch. It's a mechanical clutch so the computer doesn't control it but warning since it has a more aggressive lock up you'll hear it more than the stock clutch.

#14 ·
He could also zip tie the valve out of the way somewhere and leave it plugged in.

Reactions: G8orFord
#24 ·
I don't know, sometimes I wonder about thar one.

But in regards to your original question, the best option would be a egr cooler from bulletproof diesel. If you don't go that route and do a delete, a cheap one will work fine, they're all pretty much the same. Hell I had a $30 delete on my truck for years. You will need a custom tune to turn off the check engine light if it bothers you, but custom tunes are a great addition to these trucks anyway.
The 7.3 fan kit from bulletproof diesel, while not "needed" to delete the egr, it is a very good replacement for the stock 6.0 electronic controlled fan clutch.

Reactions: 323flint
#26 ·
I'm doing the same. I didn't think to mention it. It is a good alternative for anyone who might need to go back to the original setup quickly.

#29 ·
They are all different variations of the same theme. An EGR delete gets rid of the EGR cooler. Some people live in areas that do emissions testing. If they don't want a functioning EGR system, they can install a hardened cooler and then plug off the valve with a spool. The hardened cooler is necessary because a failed cooler can still leak coolant down the up-pipe to the exhaust manifold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.