Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Does Any 6.0 Idle Well When Really Cold?

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Sock Puppet 
#1 ·
Serious question. If so, why? I assume they idled well when new, so what common things change over time?

I realize this is a general question and the answer can depend on many different things. I know the common answer is 'just plug it in' and I get that. I wanted to know that mine would start when at elk camp, so I fired it up this morning when the ECT/EOT was 21 degrees F. It started immediately but ran pretty rough for 30 seconds, and somewhat rough for another 30 secs or so. After that it was OK.

Is this worth chasing at all or just deal with it?

#2 ·
What oil are you running?

#7 ·
Mine runs like **** and lately its only been getting down to mid 30's low 40's at night where I live. I cycle the glow plugs a couple times and its a rough start, runs rough, and when I hit my high idle switch, it makes the whole truck shake. I usually get ICP low and cyl #4 contribution codes on cold mornings, but once it warms up, it sounds and runs just fine.

It bothers me how rough it sounds and feels on cold mornings but I mean, it is/seems pretty normal for a diesel. I do know that in spite of my adding Archoil to my T6 (same as OP), I got stiction on at least one or two of my injectors. Sometimes its rougher, sometimes not so rough. Just waiting until one day when I can afford to upgrade to new 190/30 injectors.

#8 ·
You don't need to cycle the glow plugs in the mid-30s if it doesn't start the first time something is wrong.

3 years ago when my dad was still running 15w40 he would go out on a mid to high 30s morning and start it as soon as the light went out gave it 0 warm up time and drove away. Sometimes it would give a popping sound just as it fires and felt like it missed a cylinder. Never felt super rough but it didn't idle as smooth as when it was warm and was a good bit louder.

I do wonder how well mine will start when it gets colder I have a blown head gaskets and like 6 glow plug codes.

#10 ·
I've been having the same cold start issues, starts after engine turns over about 10 times, misses at around 1500 rpm, and after its brought up to operating temperature it surges at 1500 rpm pulling a hill. After I've driven the truck for about 20 mins, surge goes away but always has slight miss at 1500 rpm no matter what temp or how long I've driven it. I run Mobil1 5w40 fully synthetic turbo diesel oil, I ran rev x oil additive awhile, no real results. I think my issue is a little more than sticktion. Injector time I guess:frown2:

#11 ·
Thanks all, appreciate the input. I'm really driving at what the crux of the issue is, i.e. is this just a characteristic of the 6.0? I've had numerous diesels over the years from all of the Big 3, and they all have certain 'quirks' as they age. If this is a 6.0 quirk and won't cause any damage then so be it. But if it's indicative of an issue/wear parts that need attention, then I'll put it on the list. For instance, if it's a sign of injector seals that leak when cold then I'll make a point of replacing them when I have a little extra time.

All of my glow plugs check out per AE, and FICM voltage is always 47-48.5V regardless of temp.

#17 ·
New 175/30's during the rebuild, only run T6 and i was waiting for the cold just to try it. It dropped to 27F and I went out the next morning and she fired right up. No stumble, shaking or coughing. She runs like a champ.

#13 ·
All diesels will run worse and make more noise in very cold temps at startup. It's the nature of the beast. It takes heat to ignite the diesel and if the engine is at 20° it's not going to ignite as well. That said, it shouldn't really run "rough" at 20° or even colder if everything is in proper order. It won't have good power and it will likely "knock" a bit louder, especially for the first few seconds, but if it's missing, there's an underlying problem. The 6.0 is a bit unique with it's FICM and HUEI injection system so there and the glow plug system is the place to start looking if there are serious cold start issues. :twocents:

#14 ·
FWIW, I am new to diesels and I thought mine was throwing a rod when I started it the first cool morning (36-40 degrees)! I have been plugging mine in just because it seems to start a heck of a lot better when I do.

I am sure I probably need some glow plugs and/or injectors but I'm going to have to wait on that.

#15 ·
Glow plugs are cheap. GPCMs are a little more expensive. Double cycling your glow plugs and losing a tip can be a $15,000 mistake. Don't do it.

#16 ·
Our 6.0(166K miles) has rough start ups when its cold. I have had it since new. It did not run rough when it was new but it really does not run that rough now. I run Rotella T6 in mine and have for years. I had a code come up last winter about #1 injector. I bought 2 bottles of rev X and ran in it. After about a week the rough starts got a lot better. I no longer have the injector code either. So now when I change the oil I always add 1 bottle of rev X and it starts great. I will have to replace the injectors at some point but for now the rev X is working. You should try it. 2 bottles for the first time and 1 bottle after that. The stuff works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.