Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mountain towing

7K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  john galt 
#1 ·
Ok, well I learned along time ago that it's better to ask, than be ignorant, then possibly stupid, so....
I have a 05 f250 xlt cc. egr delete, oem but new oil cooler, recent flush, blue spring, basically a stock truck with 16k on it. Auto trans. Sct x4 Monitor with it or torque pro, with good readings. My question...

At times I will pull a 31' 10k 5er in the mountains, and I have run it stock on the canned trans tune. #1 do I still need to use the tow/haul button?

#2. What kind of rpms should I run this truck going up mountain grades or big hills?

#3 running the trans tune, does that mean it will do my downshifting for me on steep grades or do I need to manually drop a gear by shifting or just simply letting off the throttle to drop one?

Guess I'm looking for tips on how to drive this rig thru the mountains, that gives me max power without tearing it up.
I have been told the rev limit is about 3600 and that I can't really hurt it at that set point.

Any hints, tips, suggestions are appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Trans tune is going to be fine. I would only put it in tow mode till I hit highway speeds then take it out of tow mode. Then right before I hit hills I turn tow mode on and keep her at 55moh on hills. Just use your foot to get the truck to down shift and you'll be fine.

I towed a 23ft bumper pull with my previous 2004 on either stock or trans tune. Check your truck and trailer spares, bring some extra fluids and watch your oil/coolant, trans temp and boost. Egt would be very helpful too.

#3 ·
How does a 2005 only have 16,000 miles on it. Wow.

Reactions: john galt
#6 ·
I have a 06 EGR delete running the SCT X4 also. When I tow my fifth wheel I run one of the tow tunes programmed into the SCT. I run the matching trans program to the tune. I have the button in tow mode. It pretty much lets the truck rev higher in each gear before shifting like the factory program but with some added HP. It does all the shifting you just press the pedal and drive. My fifth wheel is a half ton version so I have towed it out of tow mode but only on the flats. You can help the tranny out by replacing the filter & pan with the 08 one. I have done this. Also the rear end cover with 08. They bolt right up.

#7 ·
What do you mean by trans tune matching the tune you have programmed? I was under the impression the trans tune was a tune just by itself. I must be missing something. Havent had much experience with the tunes really. I normally run the 65hp tow tune around town cause I like having a little more power, and I like how it shifts better. Have used the tow tunes for lighter weights, but with my 10k 5er I normally run the trans. I was told that was for anything over 8k. Guess I thought is was just a trans tune, just as the tow tunes are their own, and street, performance are their own. So should I run this truck up steep grades at about 3k rpms?

#8 ·
Trans only tune is just that, changes the transmission tuning only. If you use a tow tune, street, performance, etc., it tunes the engine and trans.

3200 - 3400 rpm screaming up West Virginia mountains with a 14k 5er! It's what they're built for. Keep EGTs and other temps in check. If she starts getting hot you'll need to back her down.

#11 ·
Thanks guys, Guru, I'm still not used to the roaring sound going up these grades, I'm prolly to easy on this Ole boy. So 32/34 run it huh? I dont have a way of monitoring my egts yet, are all these kits the same, or one over the other?
Have been reading some on modifying the exhaust to help on the egt situation. Any thoughts on that? Pros, cons,,,,,

#23 ·
LOL Try a 4" downpipe with 4" exhaust to 5" stacks, no cat, no muffler. Now that's a roar at 3200+ rpms! Add the whistle of a Stage 2 turbo. Had to wear ear plugs.

I get what you are saying though. Might sound like the engine is going to blow up but she'll be alright. As far as exhaust, as I eluded to, a 4" exhaust can be beneficial but without a cat and/or muffler it's going to be uncomfortably loud when towing. You'll want a decent muffler, a Donaldson is one a lot of guys seem to recommend.

To monitor EGTs, I'd probably go with a Glowshift EGT gauge. You can get probes for the SCT or a somewhat complicated setup that may work with Torque, but I'd just grab a mechanical gauge. If you want to go with a two gauge pod, add fuel pressure. I like the MaxTow gauges, which are analog and digital in one gauge. They also sell the drill and tap kit you'll need to drill the driver's side exhaust manifold to install the EGT probe.

#12 ·
I put a 4 in on mine not long after I got it, if your going to be pulling very much get some gages.
Doug

#13 ·
Tow maybe 5 times a yr, yeah I want to get my egts gauged up so I know what I got. I monitor with the X4 or sometimes with torque pro, I can see it better on my tablet. How much is involved getting a egt gauge?

#14 ·
Depends on what you want to monitor it on a mechanical gauge, CTS, SCT, Torque pro, etc.

#15 ·
For my CTS, EGTs are monitored with a probe and an EAS connrctor. The probe gets drilled in the exhaust manifold. Anything you dois similar to that. The EGT pillar gauge would be cheaper, but with the CTS I can monitor 10PIDs at once.

#16 ·
Yeah I think a mechanical gauge, sense I use both SCT and torque pro. That way I always have it. I think I was told you can't monitor egts with the SCT x4. Could be wrong, idk

#17 ·
You were misinformed, I have the SCT x 4 and you just need the egt probe for it to monitor. You do have to drill your manifold and not sure how accurate it is, but does seem to work for me.

Reactions: WD40
#18 ·
You were misinformed, I have the SCT x 4 and you just need the egt probe for it to monitor. You do have to drill your manifold and not sure how accurate it is, but does seem to work for me.

Well that's great, where did u get ur probe from? So I'm assuming it ties back to the ECU somehow and torque pro will read it too?

#19 ·
I purchased my SCT and egt probe together from innovative. The probe has a plug that goes to the x4 and it reads it. It does not go through the ecm so you would not be able to read it of torque pro. There are a bunch of threads on ways to read egts that I have come across on here in the past. I thought others were using torque, if I come across the thread I will link it.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Thanks RR, I am planning on digging into some threads on that, thanks for the link. May still go mech. I want the option of having it all the time, being I switch back and forth on monitoring

Reactions: R&Rpowerstroke
#22 ·
Just keep it on the tow tune and run it in tow/haul mode. When you get to the hills put the pedal to the metal and keep an eye on your gauges (especially egts) you'll be fine these trucks are made for this.

#24 ·
Thanks Guru, I will look into what you have recommended. Always nice to have your input. Hope your doing well, haven't talked to you on the phone for sometime now.
Thanks again!

#27 ·
Sounds nice John, do you have any pics of your setup? I'd like to see it. Where did you get yours?
I'm looking for something fairly simple, and doesn't cost both my legs. lol
I really only need the two gauges, as my x4 or torque pro handles pretty much what I monitor. Guess I could add a gauge and do the tri tho. They do look nice. Can you choose your own gauges.
So was you saying it comes with 7 different color patterns, or you have 7 colors to choose from when purchasing.

I actually do most of my monitoring with the torque pro app onto my tablet, you can be really creative with the gauge layout, and different style gauges. My tablet with it's no slip cover rides comfortably propped up on the middle hump under the dash.

I do have to glance away for a sec to see it, sitting where it is tho. That's the only real drawback. The x4 is right there at your eyes, nothing fancy, but does the job. I just don't like leaving it in the truck anywhere tho, if it gets stolen I'm thinking I'm stuck with what's programmed to the truck.

Sorry so long board, but sharing ideas like this board does, makes great info easy to get. I get carried away at times. lol Thanks to all

#29 · (Edited)
if torque pro had existed when i bought my cts i wold have gone that way I am sure.
also of note glo shift has kind of a sketchy rep but I talked to 12 people who had them and only one had a problem and they fixed it for him so I tried them
been a couple years and they are great :thumb: at least dso far
and I got a tri pilar with the mounts tap sensors for less than a single gauge from other places i was checking so i went for it and it has been great
and yes you get 7 colors you can set it to.
i just leave it to match my dash I think i have a pic i will try to post but i cant log into photobucket for weeks now so i cant add any new or better ones

not a great shot and my truck needed to be cleaned but you get the idea

Reactions: 6.0newb!
#28 ·
Whatzleft, don't let anyone talk you into putting the EGT probe after the turbo, some people
don't know any better. Always put it on the exhaust manifold.
Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.