Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Weird (to me!) steering help needed

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  thebierguy 
#1 ·
I have a bit of "slop" in the steering and for some reason it seems to turn "easier" to the left than to the right. Not like a lock up hard to the right but it seems that the wheel wants to turn easier to the left after about a quarter turn than to the right (still feels like I have the power assist to the right its just a LOT easier to the left after about a 1/4 turn and it seems very loose while driving over a rough blacktop road). I don't hear any noises or whines. It's a new to me truck (05 F250) but I am contemplating replacing the ball joints and tie rod ends and whatever appears worn when I get a nice day to get under it. Any ideas of why it would want to turn easier to one side? I've searched the forums and it seems like it could be anything in the steering system, any ideas on how to narrow it down to a specific part or problem? Thanks for any help and ideas!

Jeff

#4 ·
My thoughts as well.

#7 ·
Its 4X4... Haven't had a chance to jack it up yet but I found a definite "click" in the center link when turning the wheel and touching the joint. Tie rods don't appear to be worn out.

#11 ·
My bet is U-joints. Do you know the history on them? That might lead to sloppy steering too, if the u-joint is trying to turn the truck one way but you want it to go the other, then you let go and it pulls the other way again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.