Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Check out this oil recommendation chart..

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
Was watching a Powerstroke help video yesterday and bill had a guy there from amsoil recommending oil weights for the cold weather. I've been running 5w-40 t6 in my 6.0 year round according to this chart I'm making a mistake as if the 5w40 isn't for warmer temperatures. I always thought the 1st number "5w" was referencing the oil consistency of the oil when cold and the 2nd number "40" was the consistency when at operating temperature. I must be wrong if 10w30 is better for warmer temps. Video was titled cold weather prep for Powerstroke pretty interesting the guy has charts for 6.0 6.4 6.7 what do u guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There is no problem running T6 year round from Arizona to Alaska to Washington (no Z states) The thing about 10W30 is, a 6.0 shears it's oil down to a 30wt anyway
Bill is a boob and the other guy is trying to sell his oil

#3 ·
I thought it was Ok to run t-6 all the time that chart just didn't make sense to me. Thought about using the t-5 10w-30 but where its only semi synthetic i always decide against it

#4 ·
yup.. Its a debate that goes either way but I totally agree with sparky.. HEUI systems shear oil down like no tomorrow.. Plus living down here in Florida I have no problems with 15w-40

#5 ·
agreed...
sarky I just noticed your avatar or logo or what ever the *^%^ you call it :rofl: that is awesome :thumb:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Reactions: 7.3 powerchoke
#7 ·
The oil guy doesn't understand oil if he says don't run 5w40 year round.

The "W" number is the SAE weight of the oil when it's cold (0 or 32F I don't remember which)

The nun "W" number is the SAE weight when the oil is at 210F

So at operating temperature 15w40 and 5w40 are the same.

#10 ·
Exactly what I thought. 5w-40 and 15-40 should be the same weight at operating temp.

#8 ·
I have been running rotella T6 for a 100,000 miles and have good oil analysis

The only time i had a scare was runnining Roual purple. 5/40. I had extra wear metals for some reason.

I run Delo 5/40 syn now and it has had good reports for the last 20,000
I change every 5k regardless and while it is good stuff i have no reason to give Mobil 1 extra money over what i use now

#9 ·
that's surprises me that royal purple let you down.. either way Delo is a great oil across the board.. their 15w40 and 5w-40 both stack up high on the list for film shear strength.. Mobil 1 just a tad higher

#12 ·
I run 0W40 synthetic oil all year round in my 6.0 and no problems at all. I also tow heavy most of the summer. 40 weight is 40 weight at running temp only difference is cold temp between 0, 5, 15. I tried the 10W30 ran it 1500 miles and dumped it, will never put that in my truck again.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

#16 · (Edited)
Lol your kidding right? You can buy 0W40 oil at Walmart here in Florida.. Also my local autozone carries a Rotella 0W40

#14 ·
If his user info is correct, he lives in Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.