Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What is your average in town mpg

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  fivezero 
#1 ·
I have had my 6 liter for around a year now, the only things I have done to it are a tune, drop in k&n filter and straight pipe exhaust. The rest is stock, egr still on and everything, that being said I typically get 9.5-10 mpg in town and at best 10.5, is that normal? This measurement is what my dash is reading I have not calculated it myself, but from what I can tell it's got to be close.

#2 ·
I have an 06 2wd, extra cab, cold air, cat delete, egr delete.... With and without sct tunes I average right at 13 in the city using gallons used to Miles travelled. I drive like a grandfather to get those numbers. And if I offended anyone, I have 2 yo grand daughter:)

I actually expected more as it seems many people I know exaggerate their mpg.

#3 ·
Honestly, I've never driven my 6.0 of 12 years enough in town to warrant a fill up for an MPG check. First, my 6.0 turns like a battleship so in town driving sux. Secondly, I avoid using it as a grocery getter for the 6.0 likes to be ran hard (like you stole it) to keep the turbo clean, etc. So we use ours pretty much exclusively for hauling and long trips where I can exercise the skinny pedal.

Reactions: Tommym
#4 ·
I have owned my truck for over a year also, but mine is an 07 2wd dually tow boss which it has the bigger rear diffenrential and I'm getting 13mpg city driving as I never hit the hwy. I have noticed that if I'm easy on the truck I get 12mpg but if I drive it a bit harder I get 13mpg. I have done this test a few times with same results, I did it with a ford explore we have and it was the same thing.

I think the reason is because it doesn't stay on the lower gears for to long.

Btw, that's going by the truck gauge, I did measure it once by hand but can't honestly remember.

#5 · (Edited)
My 07 4wd supercrew gets about 12.5 driving with a heavy foot in town and about 13 with a lighter foot. My 'in town' driving includes a ten mile trip to town every day of highway driving, so that may affect my numbers a bit.

I guess I should add that this is with 33x12.50x20 Toyo all terrain tires. Highway mileage seems to be around 13.5 running 75 MPH.

#6 ·
I was getting 19mpg highway and 14-15mpg city. That's with an economy tuned FICM and an economy tune for the truck and stock injectors. (This was not including towing. It dropped 5-6mpg when towing a heavy load).

Not sure how these 175/30's will be.

#7 · (Edited)
Glad to see normal #'s here and not the crazy exaggerations you get in some of these threads.

Hand calculated:
12.5 - 13.5 mpg in this busy miami traffic. Usually on the lower end.
19-20 mpg on a highway run around 80mph with some spirited driving.

I can see 15 mpg in a rural city. Not happening in any busy, crowded city i've been to. To many lights/traffic and stopping every few hundred feet here.

#9 ·
Around town 13-14 MPG
Freeway speeds 17-18 MPG

Running SCT street tune.

-jokester

#10 ·
In town is a hard thing to figure. I just figure it by average mpg which is anywhere from 15-18 mpg. But if I only drove in town I'd guess it around 11-12 mpg.
I can get 18-20 mpg if I pussy foot the truck and stay around 70 mph. Mileage went up quite a bit after tuning it and after it had the heads gone through and studded etc.
A good FICM tune will help too.

#11 ·
I did forget to mention I am running 20x12s wrapped in 35 inch tires, I just was unsure if 9-10 in town was normal or if something may be causing it to be that low, I didn't buy it expecting anything crazy good but definitely expected atleast 12 even with the bigger tires.

#12 · (Edited)
I haven't been able to get out on a proper highway in a while at 5,000' I get around 12 13 in town maybe less and 17 18 highway at present.
was getting better with the stage 2 and tuned for stock but it smokes more and i hate that so...
I would like to get up into 20 + highway like the old 7.3 but we shall see...

edit:
I should say that everything is highway from here but just running to town its all down hill to town and all uphill back home...so no relatively flat or level ground at highway speeds to see what effect that has.
I miss getting mid 20's thats for sure :nod:
perhaps i can get the turbo tuning dialed to increase the air flow and get my mileage up more running clean at the same time.

Reactions: onealmx11
#14 ·
Driving from Las Vegas to San Diego, do it twice a month for work, at 70mph I'm averaging 18mpg+ for 342 mile trip. Tires are Nitto Dura Grappler 305/70/18. Try not to drive the F350 around town mainly because of getting stuck in the tourist traffic.

Note:
The 18mpg+ is since I started using Archoil. Prior to Archoil I averaged 16.2mpg for the same trip which I've made around 50 times.

#15 ·
I get around 10 MPG in town. I don't have any tunes. I do believe tuning would up that by a bit.

#17 ·
I was getting around 10-11 stock, tuning bumped it up to 12-13. I also let my truck warm up everytime to at least 100° (eot), so while sitting there you are getting 0 mpg which effects your average. The only time I actually look at mpgs is on the highway during long trips. Any other time is a shot in the dark considering all the variables included with daily driving.

#18 ·
This is a great thread. Thanks for starting. I just got a 2005 F250 and the previous owner said he normally got around 13 around town. I only have a few tanks on it and am still checking. Good to know a starting point. After changing fuel filters I got 18 but it was backroads driving. Once driving it around town it came back down to 13 or so quickly. That is by the electronics. I will do some manual calculations when I fill up. The truck has a S&B air cleaner, straight stock exhaust with muffler and cat removed and replaced with straight pipe. Not sure it if had a tune when I got it but I have a Livewire I put on and am trying different tunes. Right now I am running the switch on the fly at normal. I plan to try a tank at normal and one at performance and see what happens. Nice to be able to hit extreme when I want to show off. Shift on the fly seems to be pretty handy but the actual tune change seems to make a bigger difference in power.

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.