Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Longer it sits the longer the cranking

649 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Master_Chase 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone knows why this happens.

The longer my truck sits the longer it cranks before it starts, I'm not talking about trouble starting when it's cold. Here's an example I can park the truck Friday then not start it until Monday and it takes maybe 1 second to start but if I let it sit for a week it will take almost 5 seconds before it starts. Right now I have an intermittent parasitic draw so I cycle the key (to make sure I don't need to stick it on a charger) for my CTS2 to turn on so I can see the voltage earlier today it was 11.6V then by the time it turns on the fuel pump has shut off so I recycled the key waited for the wait to start light and cranked.

I did search around but almost everything I found was trouble starting when at ambient temperature.

#2 ·
I would guess weak batteries.. Mine acts the same way, and I also have a mystery parasitic draw.. I put a trickle solar charger on the dash,, now it will sit all week, and sometimes longer, and fire right up like I drove it yesterday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
That's what I was thinking except that this time the starter sounded like it was spinning at its normal speed and the voltage was good. Most of the time after sitting for a week the voltage is at high 10s and below 10.5V with the glow plugs on I put it on a charger before I attempt to start it.

I guess next time it sits for a while I'll have to remember to put in on a charger the night before instead of a few minutes before (if needed) then I would know for sure.

#3 ·
try this
let it sit with the key on long enough for the glow plugs to go off ( this is a lot longer than the when WTS light goes off ) then just crank don't cycle
i bet it starts up faster , but it's boring to wait that long LOL the batteries won't be fighting the glow plugs

the fuel comes up fast so don't worry that it timed out IMO

get a 6.4 starter if you haven't

also do you part nose high ??

#5 ·
Didn't know how fast the fuel pump kicks in.

On my list, if I keep my engine

Nope if anything slightly nose down. I live in South Houston it's basically flat.

#6 ·
mine can take a while to fire after a week ( oil finally drains out of the housing ?? )

and you can tell the batteries are lower than they would be if it was just a day or two

I actually have 4 batteries the other two i can bring in to the circuit at any time with a switch so sometimes I boost the crank cycle

otherwise they don't come on until the truck batteries are charging at 13.6

#7 ·
Do you mean the oil filter housing? because I don't use that anymore I have the BPD spin on.

Is there any way for the oil to drain out of the HPO reservoir?

#9 ·
Going back to when I first got the oil filter relocation, after an oil change even with priming the filter it would start without base oil pressure for about 15 seconds so the HPO reserve is plenty to start the engine. I now pull the FICM relay and run the starter till the cluster shows oil pressure when changing because I don't like running it that long without pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.