My truck was broken into!! - So what's a door lock cost? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Angry My truck was broken into!! - So what's a door lock cost?

Yep, it happened. Truck was broken into last weekend - stole my GPS and my wife's sunglasses. In the process, the sorry, sack of **** destroyed my driver's side front door lock assembly and put an ever so slight dent (hardly noticeable - didn't see it till last night) right under the door handle.

Was in what I *thought* was a better part of Memphis to watch some drag racing. Came out last Saturday morning in the hotel parking lot to find it had been hit. Nothing else taken or damaged. No broken glass, no damaged paint, no destroyed interior, just busted lock and slight dent below the handle.

I'm fortunate that the truck was still there (and not destroyed)...not to mention all the tools in the toolbox and my tote in the bed. Left all the CDs and other miscellaneous crap I had in there too. Night before I had unhooked the GPS from the mount (left the mount on the windshield ) and stuck it in a cubbyhole. Actually even thought, "I should probably take that in"...needless to say, I didn't.

So, with a $500 deductible, I'm considering just paying out of pocket for a new lock/handle assembly.

Anyone ever priced these?

I hate thieves!!!

By the way, just a note for other GPS users. After discovering this, my wife called her folks to let them know what happened. Father in law is a sherriff's deputy for the county we live in and said that around a month ago they had an APB out on folks stealing GPS's from out of town cars. Apparently, since they know you're out of town, and they have your GPS, they can hit the "Home" button on the unit and it'll lead them straight to your house - while you're not home. And supposedly, some have been wiped out this way. Not many folks, including myself, ever considered this when putting my home address in the GPS. Luckily, our stuff was fine...and still is.

Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

That sucks Marv!! I would suggest replacing the front door handles with one like the rear(no key hole) and getting some Jimmy Jammers
Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you can pick up one off ebay or an online parts store pretty cheap... i went through the same thing.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 AM

The part about the 'home' on your GPS, I've heard that too. That is why "home" on mine is the bar down the street from me. Figure I know how to get from the bar to my home without much trouble, so the bar as home is close enough
Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That sucks... Happened to me towards end of last year.

I can not believe how simple it is to pop that lock... Stick screwdriver in key hole and push screwdriver handle down while prying up... watch the latch lift up and pull the door handle. Takes all of 3-5 seconds if you are in hurry. Sad thing is you can walk right up to the truck on the psgr side and look as if you are sticking in a key to people walking by... I could not even tell they broke into my door until I tried to unlook it with a key.

Totally suck... I feel your pain.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose350 View Post
That sucks Marv!! I would suggest replacing the front door handles with one like the rear(no key hole) and getting some Jimmy Jammers
Yeah, it's no good man. I couldn't believe it at first. More I think about it, the more aggravated I get.

RE: using the rear door handles, I had considered doing that. Have you ever seen it done?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work...serve the same purpose, just don't have the key hole.

What's the Jimmy Jammers you're referring to?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:16 PM

Do you still have the serial # & such from the GPS? I've heard that some GPS makers will put a trace on the unit if stolen. If the sorry -sses use the GPS then the company can contact police as to its location.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Even if you have the rear door locks, a screwdriver applied "just under the keypad" will still open the door.

Jimmi Jammers work very well. They will either deter the theft OR cause them to break your window to enter.

Either way, the repair bill is as much (or more than) as what is stolen!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStroked View Post
you can pick up one off ebay or an online parts store pretty cheap... i went through the same thing.

Good call man, I'll check that out.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas157 View Post
The part about the 'home' on your GPS, I've heard that too. That is why "home" on mine is the bar down the street from me. Figure I know how to get from the bar to my home without much trouble, so the bar as home is close enough
Haha...yeah, trust me, the "home address" in the next one, won't really be home. I might put in the police station address or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.