Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 with larger diameter head bolts.....Why Not ?

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  toren302 
#1 ·
Ok I have brought up the question more then once on this forum on why not overdrill the 6.0

I just finished watching Car Fix and they are taking a Cadillac Northstar 32V 4-8 cylinder engine and over drilling the head bolts. They actually used a hand drill to drill out the threads in the block. They used two sized drill bits for the process to keep the holes straight.......hopefully.
Then they re threaded the block for the bigger head bolts. They are using ARP fasteners for the engine I see but went no further on the job in today's episode.

I learned the main bearings are also TTY bolts, not sure if they are going to upgrade those to ARP or not but will surely finish on next weeks show.

They showed no work on cylinder head drilling but I am sure they will at least use a drill press or mill.

Anyways I'm stilling waiting for someone to do this on our beloved Six-Oh. I am waiting to see the rest of the job, but at least my way of thinking is not a impossibility. Toren you are the one on this forum that has the most experience with our engine. I'd sure like to see you take on at least one and crank it up to 1,200 HP and see how it does.

At bare minimum I can see it being done on a Cadillac engine.......

See less See more
Reactions: SparkyF250
#3 ·
I remember that myself. " picture of guy eating popcorn" lol

I was surprised to see them drilling block by hand but I guess bits were small enough to keep straight. Car Fix is a good show, best one on TV bar none is "Iron Reserection" at least in my opinion. Guys are regular ole Joes

Reactions: ZMANN
#5 ·
I thought it was Toren...... I think.

#6 ·
I actually did that to my Cadillac STS with the 4.6 Northstar. They had similar issues to these trucks with studs stretching. They also had issues with the castings leaving some of the head bolt holes with voids in them. The 4.6 is also an aluminum block so it was fairly easy to drill.

I don't see why it couldn't be done to the 6.0. Might be a little tougher drilling a cast iron block. The motor would also need to be removed. The caddy motor has to be removed just to change the head gaskets so there wasn't much extra labor involved.

#7 ·
I'm still waiting to see them finish that show. Those guys are great.

#8 ·
@toren302

Toren you are the one on this forum that has the most experience with our engine. I'd sure like to see you take on at least one and crank it up to 1,200 HP and see how it does.......
:popcorn: In for that too ^^

#9 ·
1,200 is LOW now in this world!!

I wouldn't waste the time trying to drill out the holes for bigger fasteners. The 6.4 is already that way and it still blows gaskets. Really at anything above 800+hp you are build a race motor. So things like block filling and off season rebuild/teardowns are normal. Most of these big boys are running filled blocks anyway. I would spend more time getting the 6.4 heads to adapt to the 6.0. That's a much better end result if possible. So far I have gotten them to bolts on the block, but the rocker box, and injection system is a whole different ball game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.