Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How many miles on front hub/bearing assembly

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  G8orFord 
#1 ·
Anyone else have more than 250K miles on the original front hub/bearing assembly?? I'm starting to think I'm missing a symptom or something. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and bite the bullet and get them changed out to prevent the inevitable.

k

#3 ·
Just the mileage. I mean I've heard of people having to swap them out at around 100K.

D^M!+. I just realized I posted this on the wrong page. I always keep 2 open I used the wrong one. Oh well I had a 50/50 chance.

k

#5 ·
My passenger side started rumbling while cornering at 155,000. There really wasn't any play in it but it felt a little rough when turning by hand so I replaced both of them. As far as I can recall, the front axle had only been submerged once.

#7 ·
Replaced the front hubs and rear bearings while I did maintenance on other stuff and had everything apart and gained a little bit of mpg truck most definitely rolls a little better. Have to use the brakes on a few hills I could just coast down before. I know the fronts were okay (no play) but the rears were getting to be a bit of a mess.

#8 ·
210500 no problems so far, my front ball joints are starting to get a tiny bit of play again. Also my front axle ujoints are needing to be replaced, im getting the ghost steering a little.

All in all, can't complain with the front end on the ford so far.

#9 ·
I had the ball joints done at 225K. Sounds like you are right on par with me on those components. I just can't figure these hubs/bearings out. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when they fail and theres nothing to service.

k

#10 ·
My driver side bearing started making a slight roaring sound at 175k...kind of felt/sounded like running large mud tires but was just the right front making the noise. Tires are Michelin LTX.

Replaced both front bearings last month and no more noise or buzz feeling in the steering wheel.

#12 · (Edited)
If they're worn bad enough, you can lift the wheels off the ground, grab tire at 12:00 & 6:00 and feel some play in the bearing / hub. There should not be any noticeable looseness. I've never felt any play without a lot of noise. Usually a howling/roaring sound.

BTW, I have 175K on my rig and hubs are still ok.

#14 ·
Neither side of mine had any noticeable play, but the drivers side had a very noticeable whine at about ~130k when I replaced it. I actually thought it was still ok and I was just imagining things until I got the caliper off and was able to turn the hub freely. There was a very noticeable "count" when turning it. I have little doubt the bearing would have lasted several tens of thousands of miles, but I didn't want to chance it. The passenger side I replaced this past weekend had no "count" to it, but it did have a noticeable noise when free turning on the bench. Since I had it off for the ball joints anyway, a new hub went on. I still have both old units in case I need one in a pinch.

Reactions: ZMANN
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.