Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 Single stack

12K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  CloverLeafFarm 
#1 ·
I've had my 2006 f-250 for around a year now and since the first month it's had 5 inch turbo back straight pipe. Lately I've been wanting to do something different and run a stack, so I bought all the essential parts and ran into a big issue. I am trying to mount it offset to the right of my slider window but under the bed is a cross piece extending from one side of the frame to the other. This leaves no space for me to connect a stack inbetween it and the start of the bed. Has anyone else ran into this and if so how did you get around it?

#2 ·
Yea Ford put that crossmember there to stop Idiots from putting stovepipe stacks through the bed.

#5 ·
I guess I'm an "idiot" because I like running a stack on my truck. And I'm sure Ford put that cross member there just to keep people from doing it.:tard:

To the OP... if you route your piping inline with the way it is setup you stack will come out just to the right of the slider. This is how I routed mine with a 5" elbow. Mine runs with 4" piping to a 5" to 4" reducer, to a 5" elbow, to a 5" inlet to 6" mitre stack. My stick sits just to the right of the stack and the top of it it level to the top of the cab.

#12 ·
I'm assuming that your stack is going to slide over the exhaust coming up through the bed of the truck...

#8 · (Edited)
Pink and Beautiful

Here's a perfect shot of a real handy fellow.

#10 · (Edited)
You have
To have thick skin. Stacks are normally associated with blowing smoke which attracts EPA fanatics so stacks are a soar subject for some is all. Because not everyone who wants stacks just blows smoke at all intersections. I dabbled into the idea but I used my bed more then I thought so it didn't work for me.

#17 ·
I just measured to see where I cut the hole in my bed... it is approximately 6 1/4" from the wall of the bed to center of the hole and 8 3/4" from wall to the outside edge of the hole. If you can make your cut without exceeding 8 3/4" then you will not have to mess with the cross member, if you cannot then I would trim the base plate of the stack so that you can.

Make sense?

#19 ·
What are you going to use to cut the bed?

#23 ·
He has to have a arbor for it.
I would drill the 1/4" C/L hole from under the truck so he knows where the hole is going to be.
Then get in the bed and drill down. I'd also have someone squirting oil on the hole saw as you go. A 4-1/2" hole saw is a knarly thing to use. It can hangup real easy and bust knuckles without trying. Drill at a moderate speed and keep it lubed.

I have cut out sponges and put inside hole saw and soaked it with oil when drilling into stainless. Would come in handy if a sponge is available. If not keep oil as you drill. Hole saw will last much longer.

Good Luck.

#26 ·
I marked out the hole from underneath, drilled a bunch of holes around the inside edge of the mark, then connected the holes from up top with a sawzall.
He has to have a arbor for it.
I would drill the 1/4" C/L hole from under the truck so he knows where the hole is going to be.
Then get in the bed and drill down. I'd also have someone squirting oil on the hole saw as you go. A 4-1/2" hole saw is a knarly thing to use. It can hangup real easy and bust knuckles without trying. Drill at a moderate speed and keep it lubed.

I have cut out sponges and put inside hole saw and soaked it with oil when drilling into stainless. Would come in handy if a sponge is available. If not keep oil as you drill. Hole saw will last much longer.

Good Luck.
All done fellas.

Attachments

#25 ·
I marked out the hole from underneath, drilled a bunch of holes around the inside edge of the mark, then connected the holes from up top with a sawzall.

#29 ·
Please keep the back of your truck clean. My son almost burnt his truck because of paper and plastic getting piled up against the stacks. I caught it before it got bad, but it could have been ugly. He did have a tool box behind the stacks, so that contributed to the mess.

If you like stacks, great, but I'm kinda with @mhatlen on the subject. Just seems like a waste of money, effort and space to me, but to each his own. Enjoy.

#30 ·
Yea I was pretty rough on him this morning, must of fell off the wrong side of the couch this morning :)

It looks better then the stove pipe jobs that I will give you hands down. You are in the red neck class now for sure.
Nice truck exactly what mine looked like a few years back. Minus the exhaust of coarse.

Probabably has a unique tone because of the sharp angles out. Well done for a one day install.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#32 ·
Good to see ya got it done.

Something to think about... with a stack that short, you're probably going to end up with smoke seeping into your cab and leaving soot around your back window and headliner.

#37 ·
So I have to ask....how do you keep rain from going into that stack and filling up the exhaust system with water? I'm sure exhaust will blow out any water in the pipe but it'll make a mess of black in the truck bed or anything behind the truck.

#38 ·
You can get a cover to put over it. I have known some people who drilled a tiny hole at the bottom of the elbow.

#39 ·
^ drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the elbow for a "rain drain"... It would look kinda ridiculous with flappers.. Idk just my .02$

#40 ·
.....I have stacks.

#41 ·
LOL Yea chrome side pipes is what I call those

#42 ·
Well I can joint the idiot crowd on this one....

Had a 4 to 7in black stack in the 6.0.....it was there for all of about 6months then out it came and back to straight piped duals. The drone was too much. Not to mention with a white truck the gate and rear bed sides would get covered in soot. When it rained it would get little black drops of soot everywhere. It did work AWESOME for a tailgate deterrent tho. Never again, unless its on a comp turck. Duals FTW!!! Everyone and their funkles put stacks in now.

#45 ·
So your dick gets moist when you get off is all I got out of your second comment .... :rofl: :rofl:

#50 ·
That's a major smokey tire situation. Think it's pushing a touch more fuel then it can cleanly burn :)

#49 ·
Okay that one won me over for sure LOLZ :rofl:

#52 ·
Go figure a Powerstroke mechanic will surely make a performer out of his personal truck. My truck is no slouch but if I saw that coming up from behind it would scare the hell out of me. Truck just looks mean cranking it out like that.

Mine would spit the ring gear out with my tires more likely. lol

That's a cool shot for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.