Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How To Get A Spare Tire Key

37K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Jake6.0 
#1 ·
Ok, so after doing some research I found out I'm not the only one who doesn't have a spare tire key. Not all is lost though, I found out how to get one...

The spare tire key is made by a company called McGard and their number is 1-800-444-5847. I spoke to a lady by the name of Nancy and she said there are two ways to get one. First way, take a pic of the design down the tube where the crank rod goes, then email it to cs3@mcgard.com. Second way, they have a list of all the Ford dealerships that have a master set of all the keys. For me the closest place is roughly 50 miles away, so I opted for the pic. Cost for the key is $22.49 + shipping. Hope this helps, I read all kinds of stories where guys where ruining their stuff with sockets. Which for me, wasn't an option...

#5 ·
Yea I would have done that but not every dealership has the master keys. That's why I called McGard. They looked up the dealerships off my zip code and found out the closest one was 50 miles away.

#6 ·
Here is what I sent to Nancy. She called me back and said the pic worked. I called back and gave my CC info. Should be there within 2 to 5 business days...

Reactions: john galt
#7 ·
IDK how much BS this post saved me but it was a lot. I didn't even know I needed a spare tire key and there wasn't one in the truck, I suppose one of the previous 5 owners has it. Ford dealer wanted me to make appt. to drop it off for service so they could "figure it out". Firstly, nobody works on my truck but me, secondly, it's up on jackstands so I can undercoat the bed and do other things like REMOVE AND RECONDITION THE TIRE WINCH. That was a non-starter obviously.

Called McGard, got a very pleasant woman named Elizabeth. She said I could take a pic of it and they would match it up. I had already taken a pic (after many attempts) after reading this post. Sent her the pic, she said we'll send it out Wed. That was how all customer service should go, quick pleasant and effective. Thanks McGard and thx to @topdwg for the post!

Attachments

#8 ·
i have a spare hanger but haven't installed it yet beccause i dont have a key so i apreciate the info
i was going to bust off the key and force a socket on it but i would rather have the right key and get a spare under the truck :thumb:
excellent :D

Reactions: Jake6.0
#9 ·
Unless you're worried about your tire being stolen, why not just take the plastic guide that goes from the bumper to the tire holder, pop the key off, and continue to raise and lower it with the provided extender. Even without the key it works fine, but you use the end that goes in the jack lower. It will be hard to get to without cutting the tire lower. There's several different types of keys. somewhere between 6 and 12, and ordering the correct one would probably involve sticking the snake cam inside the tube and sending a picture off, or ordering a whole set of them.

Are people still stealing tires today? I know my truck is the most stolen vehicle in my area, so I'm more afraid of that then a tire. I could be wrong.

I've got Ravelco installed to prevent theft and am thinking of something like a Jimmy Jan on top of that.

#10 ·
I just like to keep things as close to original as possible. Honestly, it was easier to order the replacement than it would have been to break it off. No bore camera needed, just a flashlight in one hand and camera in the other and a couple tries. A quick call to McGard that didn't even include being put on hold, emailed the pic of lock and it took like 2 minutes for her to find the match (there are 16) and submit the order. The price is even still the same as when the OP made this post back in '09. :surprise: I'm gonna look into that Ravelco you mention for the truck, and maybe a LoJack type too.

Reactions: cheathyb
#11 ·
If my truck was not broke three miles down a trail, and I needed the tire lowered as quick as possible, I probably would have went this route. Seems pretty easy to replace the key if you know what to do.

Ravelco is really a kill switch. It's a bit pricey, but short of towing a vehicle away, a Ravelco equipped car has never been stolen. It'd have to be a bigger wrecker to get our vehicles. I looked at adding a GPS tracker to the truck with the Ravelco, but decided the subscription fee was not worth it. Also, with the Ravelco, a remote start is no longer an option. When the guy showed up to install the Ravelco, he had a teenage apprentice with him, not his kid, who worked quite hard. Not as many teenagers are working and its nice to see one working hard. I did look at an alarm, but went with this.

#13 ·
The key arrived over the holidays, but I just had a chance to test it. Worked perfect :D

Thx for info on Revelco, I looked into it and you're right, a bit pricey plus lots of installation. I'm just gonna hide a battery cutoff underneath somewhere to deter all but the most determined, then hide a cheap 3G GPS tracker somewhere in case that doesn't work.

Attachments

#14 ·
Right, I'm more worried someone will hook a wrecker to it and tow it away than break into it and start it and drive away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.