installing gauges. have a few questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
installing gauges. need help

started to tear apart my truck to day to install the gauges. i have diprocol gauges with the wire kit which is missing all of the hardware.(fuse, grommets for the firewall, heat shrink , ring terminals...)

-can i tap the dimmer switch for the led power? i want the gauges to dim if i turn the dimer switch...

-and when taping the intake . i wanted to know what kind of gasket does the intake use rubber oring, or paper? and do they need to be replaced when you pull it. if it does i rather go to ford before hand and order one so im not waiting for a new gasket...

thanks

Last edited by mx730md; 10-19-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM

you should be able to find the parts at radio shack. as far as your other questions, im not sure.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM

ok. i got everything wired up. the led and the power for the motors in the gages. i finished the trans temp gauge since that was the easiest one...

now i wanted to know which bank do most people tap the drivers side manifold or passengers side. i image the drivers side but i wanted to double check. i only want to do this once. just a little nervous drilling holes in my motor... also how hard does the manifold drill. i image the metal is probable pretty tough since its been heat treated a million times . i plan to take my time and drill it very slow with alot of steps up to the final 11/32 bit for the 1/8npt tap
Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Most people do tap the drivers side manifold. My tap is on the bottom, back side under the truck where it is real easy to get to. Man I never realized how rusty things are getting under there until now. Its amazing what a camera flash can show ya.

Last edited by Gamble; 10-18-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM

do you run the tap all the way threw the manifold? my thermocouple has like a double sided collar that just slides over it and then a nut that is fixed on the thermocouple.

yea mine 04 f250 is pretty rusted too. that is the next think on the list . im going to try and crawl under it with the power washer and clean it up and put fresh paint on the frame.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Mine was actually done when I got it...matter of fact, I posted the other day that I got a free gift, (meaning I didnt have to do it). But I my better judgement tells me that it goes all the way through the manifold wall into the open body of the manifold, if it didnt, it would be hard to read the actual temps of the exhaust gases. Good luck, hope the picture helps.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
Mine was actually done when I got it...matter of fact, I posted the other day that I got a free gift, (meaning I didnt have to do it). But I my better judgement tells me that it goes all the way through the manifold wall into the open body of the manifold, if it didnt, it would be hard to read the actual temps of the exhaust gases. Good luck, hope the picture helps.
thanks but i guess you have to see it to understand what im saying. the probe sits inside a threaded collar . not looking under neither the truck i believe if i thread it all the way threw the manifold its going that the tip will end up hitting the other side of the manifold and from what i have read it should be in the center to get the best reading.

btw thanks for the picture. it would be nice if more people would respond i mean i bet at least 75% of the people here have gauges .

oh well. i will get pictures post of where i taped for the dimmer and the 12volt for the power. because none of the pictures i found either had horrible quality or where shot to close to tell where the wires are.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM

bump... can any one help me with my pyro ? i have my boost and trans hooked up.

does any one know how how thick the manifold walls are? i just think the pyro probe is going to be to long and hit the other side. that is why i want to know how far should i run my tap in. i know the tap is tapperd that is why i want to know about how many threads do you need. i would think 2 or 3 complete turns would be plenty. and that way the probe is in the center of the pipe.

-and the intake manifold/elbow uses a o-ring so it should be reusable but according to diesel manors instructions say the bolt should be torqued down to 23ft lbs. which has to be wrong i loosen mine with a 1/4 drive T wrench.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
I doubt the probe is too long, these are pretty standard things.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 PM

i dont have a pic but your pyro does need to sit in the center for the best reading. And when i tapped mine im pretty sure i almost went all the way with the tap then i screwed the collar in and placed the probe where i wanted it and tightned the nut down. 25,000 miles and still going strong and reading great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.