Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 dually Dana 80 leak

3K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  mikeb01453 
#1 ·
So i have a rear axle leak, coating my rear brakes on the drivers side. I am trying to find a part diagram for the dana 80 but cant seem to find one, does anyone know how many seals are in the rear end? Is it just the inner seal i need to replace? in this case the seal would be brs-179, also, are there any tricks to removing this seal? i want to have the needed parts beforehand. thanks

#3 ·
Thanks heavy, this truck is gonna drive me to drink haha

#4 ·
It's just one seal in the back, the front seals with the axel.
You'll probably need to replace the bearings and races as well, make sure the spindle isn't worn on the bottom side too.

#5 ·
....by back and front I mean inner and outer.
No real trick to remove the seal, just drive it out.

#6 ·
thanks portcity, ill look over everything but honestly im just trying to buy time with this rear end, its spitting teeth so im searching for a used rear end thats reasonably priced....

#7 ·
i know you had said that the 03/04, the 05/07, and the 08 plus all have different width rear axels, also not to get one off a cab and chassis. Im looking for one i can go through on my workbench then slide it under the truck when ive gone through it.

#8 ·
That is correct....although I wouldn't let a 99-04 be a deal breaker for you. Its not much skinnier, but I'm not 100% sure when the lugs changed though.

#9 · (Edited)
A1 Impact in Lorain OH has rear ends listed from $500 up Dana 80 may be 1000.

Wanted to add pack inside of seal with grease and light coat of RTV where seal mates with hub. Dana book says to pack the bearings. There is also an axel o ring.

I used BF Pliers after crushing seal in to jerk mine out, worked for me.

Reactions: mikeb01453
#12 ·
The 05 plus have bigger brakes.This was also when lug pattern changed from 8x 170 to 8x200.

#13 ·
Yeah the lug patter did change for the 05 to 07 models, I was told that i could also run a dana 80 4.10 that isnt limited slip if i happen to come across one, or if i had to rebuild i could opt to not do the LS aspect and save some cash, first thing is first and thats to get the leak to stop and address any brake issues that have happened as a result of the leak, im sure my pads are probably toast but the rotor probably just needs to be cleaned up, so im thinking new pads on both sides. Im going to inspect the passenger side and see if there is any signs of leaking, if not im not going to mess with that seal. ive gotten quotes from my local ford for 4 grand or so in parts to rebuild the rear, talked to a local shop they said 2100 and ill be rolling again. Ive seen several rear axles on craigs list for short money, under a grand which if i can come across the right axle i would like to go that route, go over it on a bench then just slide it under. As it is the truck is gonna need head gaskets so the rear end im trying to do on a budget... Thanks for all the help guys! And if anyone in the new england area has a dana 80 that will work in my truck and wants to help a poor guy out id appreciate it :lol:

#14 ·
I bought and 05 axle for my 04,paid 875.00 for it.

#15 ·
LOL thats so much better than 2100 but i havent been able to find anything lately... Im hopeful one will pop up, im not afraid to drive around new england for the right price.

#16 ·
Gotcha well hopefully one will.Might even be able to find one that someone will ship,thats how I got both of mine. (i did the front because i converted my truck to coil springs.I will keep and eye out.

#17 ·
even a separate axle shipped is probably cheaper than anything from ford.

#18 ·
Happen to come across a 4.10 rear axle out of an 08-10 dually with 70k for 400 bucks, anyone know if those are the same as what I have, going to call tomorrow but if I remember correctly any dually rear axle with a 4.10 should be a limited slip and a Dana 80. Can some one confirm?

#19 ·
Pretty sure you are correct,for 400 you need to snatch that,awesome buy.

#20 ·
yeah i know, im calling today hopefully getting it tomorrow assuming there is no damage. Anyone know the difference between the dually axels for a pickup and for a cab and chassis?

#21 ·
so the axle came out of a cab and chassis, at the very least this probably means that is not a limited slip (not a deal breaker for me), but does anyone know the differences between a cab and chassis axle and a pickup axle?

#23 ·
I am thinking it won't fit.

#22 ·
I know the chassis truck has a narrower frame....not 100% sure if the springs are moved in or not, probably are though.
If you're comfortable moving the spring pads and shock mounts it'll work fine.

#24 ·
Yeah, i dont have any welding skills whatsoever so i will wait for one that is for a pickup, that stinks

#25 ·
anyone happen to have an exploded parts view of the dana 80 rear end? The rear end pooped the bed on me today, my mechanic seems to think its only the spider gears so Im going to order the whole carrier assembly (dana direct ) its 589 which is a lot cheaper than through ford, but this is something ive never done before so im a little nervous about it. Like i said, we wthink the pinion gear is fine but the spider gears appear to be a different story (real bad slamming when turning at low speeds) the guy i spoke to about the dana parts thinks its clutch chatter ( Im not redoing the Limited slip, im removing it all together) but i would like to find the proper exploded view for our rear ends which i am having trouble finding... Thanks guys

#26 ·
I would seriously skip the new stock carrier and put in a Detroit trutrac.
I bought mine brand new for $300 and installed it myself. Use your original shims and it will most likely be the correct lash.

#27 ·
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Synthetic rubber

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

Auto part Wheel

Auto part Monochrome Black-and-white Metal

Whelp there's my problem... in the plus side it looks like the pinion gear is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I'd throw a trutrac in and call it a day.

Reactions: G8orFord
#29 ·
while the ring gear looks ok I can't say i wouldn't drop a new ring an pinion and all new bearings with a true track in it and play it safe

also you don't want a cab and chassis the spring mounts are further in and the axle itself is not as wide to the wheel mounting flange

#30 ·
Yeah I'm not going the route of another axle, I'm going to explore most carrier options but a full rebuild would be roughly 1500 bucks before labor, which I don't have. At least the carrier is a bolt right in, and considering the truck still needs trans solenoids and at some point in the future needs head gaskets. I'm going to replace what is visibly warm or damaged and that's about it. The truck only has 80k on it so as far as the rear end goes I'm hoping this is it for a while, just fixed the leak and this is up next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.