$60 TOW, $120 Diagnostic, $1365 to tear into +++ 50 psi on hpop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$60 TOW, $120 Diagnostic, $1365 to tear into +++ 50 psi on hpop

2005 F250 4x4 with 140,000 miles. Never a issue until a week ago. Truck developed a oil leak about 2/3 rds the way back on the passenger side of the engine block. A few days later the truck died going down the hi way. It will crank but not start. I had it towed to the closest ford dealer. Cost 60 dollars for the tow. The service writer told me it would be a 120 fee to diagnose the problem. Theservice writer called today and said the truck had 50psi where it needs at least 500 psi to fire the injectors? A few on this site said they think it is the sct fitting. The service writer said that may well be the cause but that he would not know until he got into it. They want $1365 to tear into the truck and see what the problem is. The 1365 will go toward labor but not cover all the labor if i understood the service guy correctly. I am not thrilled with this as i see a 3k repairbill looming. At this point he said it would have to go to the heavy duty repair line and it would be at least 2 weeks before they could get to it. I can not live 2 weeks without the truck and i do not want to pay 3k to fix it.

So is there a online service manual or a repair manual i can buy at pep boys, or autozone or similiar? Where is this SCT fitting located? I am not afraid to tear into this project. Is there any specific tools needed that i mostlikely will not own or be able to get?

Once i dig into this is the broken parts or area going to be pretty obvious to see?

Should i do a egr block off or anything else while i am in here?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 AM

IDK if there is a service manual or anything that you can get your hands on, but the STC fitting is a common problem on the 05+ trucks. If you have a common knowledge about these engines, and are mechanically inclined, I say do it yourself.

-French
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 AM

I am going to tear into it as soon as the wrecker brings it back and i find some more info on it
Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wlsmithjr1960
Might want to check the IPR valve also, same problem a couple of weeks ago, turned out that's what is was. Good Luck! wlsmithjr1960
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 AM

You should be able to get a normal Chilton or Hayes repair manual at your local auto part store. I think I paid about $20 for mine.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM

i just changed mine and didnt use any manual at all, there are a few people on here that helped me out alot, all you need to do is to tear into it. The only thing is to worry about it torque specs for the STC fitting and the oil rail plug seals cause you would be dumb not to change them too while your there.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Wow, thats very harsh!

Brians Truck Shop in Lead Hill, Ar charged me 1200$ to replace the HPOP, full EGR delete, move egt probe to manifold, and fill the coolant and oil back up afterwards. It was 1391$ out the door after taxes and such. And they had it done in 2 days!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM

On a side note, good luck with the tear down, it looked pretty simple when I checked the progress on mine, seems like the worst part is getting all the random knick knacks out of the way.

If you take your time and take pics, notes, or label where everything goes I'm sure you'll be able to handle it! Good luck
Old 10-15-2009, 04:54 PM

I have done a lot of searching on the net and saturday i am going to dig into it. I am half way thinking about using my track loader to dig a pit to get the truck down to a level where it will not be so high off the ground
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM

you could try taking the wheels/tires off to lower it some? And again good luck with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.