2006 F250 Ball Joint Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 F250 Ball Joint Replacement

I am getting new tires put on the truck today. Along with that, I was going to have the alignment checked.

Well, the tire place just called and said I need a ball joint replaced on the left side. They quoted me $275 for parts, $210 for labor, and $55 for an alignment.

How much shopping around should I do, or is that decent price for the work?

I called my brother-in-law, who runs a shop that specializes in tranny rebuilding, and he said that replacing a ball joint in my truck requires a few tools that he doesn't have. So, since he can't do the work for me, I'm likely to let the tire place (also a repair shop) do the work for me, unless you folks think the quote is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 AM

i dunno about just a ball joint replacement but my front end is being worked on this weeken for a dust seal that went bad and i was told there just gonna do the ball joints as well for 70 for each side.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

That is pretty high. The special tool can be made for less than $20. There was a thread somewhere. Get some moog ball joints and the dust seal for the axle as well as the seal in the hub that requires that special tool. You can just call around and get quotes from different shops, but u better do all 4 ball joints. Or you can spend a day and give it a shot yourself. Not too bad a job... But if you don't like wrenching, take it in..
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 AM

I'm not bad at turning a wrench and figuring things out myself, so I might just give it a try.

However, I'm looking at my Ford Workshop manual and I can't find a ball joint repair detail for a 4wd truck. The 4wd ball joint replacement detail simply refers me to the 2wd ball joint replacement detail.

Is the ball joint replacement procedure the same for 2wd and 4wd vehicles?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
That is way high. I had both sides, upper and lower done for just over $400. Look elsewhere or buy the parts yourself and see if they will install them for you.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

Replacing ball joints and seals on 01 F250

Try that link. You can also search the forums and you will find tons of tips/tricks and a few good writeups. You do need a good set of heavy duty snapring pliers. The cheapies at advance and sears won't reach in there far enough.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 AM

moog ball joints run about a hundred a side' installing them aint that bad with air tools, i did mine in 2.5 hours.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:16 AM

I did mine about a month ago and it took me about 8 hrs to do. I had about 6 hrs in the drivers side and about 2hrs in the passenger side. I did it outside and the bugs were horrible, I looked like I had some kind of infection or something because of all the bumps on my skin from the bites.

-French
Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 AM

The shop has agreed to let me supply the ball joints. I think I'm going to let them do the one wheel that needs to be replaced now, and I'll worry about doing the other wheel sometime in the near future. I presume I'll need another alignment after i do the other wheel, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I've rounded up a couple of Moog K8607T ball joints for $60 each.
And I've also ordered a couple of Moog K80026 ball joints for $41 each.

The shop mentioned about $130 worth of other parts that they plan to replace while they're in there, and I told them to plan on supplying and replacing whatever else they want to do on top of the ball joint parts. Any idea what all these parts might be? I should probably get them on order for when I do the other wheel.

This tire/alignment shop has an excellent reputation around these parts. So although I'm somewhat concerned at how fast the bill is adding up, I'm confident that the job is being done right. After all, doing a good job is in their best interest too because they have to warranty the tires.

Last edited by w_huisman; 10-15-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 PM

its not a good idea to just do the one side at a time, you will be paying more down the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.