oh boy! trashed lpop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oh boy! trashed lpop

Well its been awhile since ive been on here but ive got a question for you guys. I had a 2003 6.0l come in the shop yesterday it had very low icp pressure and voltage. The oil pressure gauge on the dash came up and it filled the oil filter bowl, but slowly. I hooked my mechanicaloil pressure gauge up and found low base oil pressure. I then pulled the ipr off, found trash on the screen. I then proceeded to remove the low pressure oil pump, found that to be trashed as well. Then i removed the passenger side valve cover and turned the motor over by hand the #1 cyl exhaust valves do not move. I did not remove the driver side valve cover yet... So im assuming the lifter failed spreading metal parts through the whole system destroying the lpop, hpop, ipr, injectors, and who knows what else. So what do i recommend? A new engine? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! I have not experienced this problem before, so any advise would be great!! Thanks in advance!!! Also has anybody found a cause for the lifter failure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Ok upon our recommendations the customer is having us install a used engine with no warranty. Shop cost on a reman from ford was 11,000 dollars so clearly the used engine was a better route. I got the cab off this morning then got busy with other stuff while waiting for an engine. So monday i will tear down the junk engine and snap a few pictures of the destruction.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ouch.... $11k... Wow. Interested in the carnage pics. So if a guy could pick up a 2003 6.0 for about a grand, that would be a good deal to hold on to?

You can check the voltage somewhere to see icp pressure/voltage? Curious as I am having a no start/ low idle/ dying issue and was curious if icp could be part of it. I may have to pick your brain!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Banned

Thats alot of damage! $11000
Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid4life View Post
Ouch.... $11k... Wow. Interested in the carnage pics. So if a guy could pick up a 2003 6.0 for about a grand, that would be a good deal to hold on to?

You can check the voltage somewhere to see icp pressure/voltage? Curious as I am having a no start/ low idle/ dying issue and was curious if icp could be part of it. I may have to pick your brain!
You mean just an engine for a grand? If its a running engine with decent mileage i would say thats a good deal!

Yes you can read icp pressure and voltage with a scan tool like the ford ids which is what i use. There are much cheaper scan tools that can do the trick i think autoenginuity is a pretty good one, but i have no experience with it. Or you can check icp voltage with a multimeter right at the icp sensor connector on the dark blue/ light green wire and the gray/red wire. Should be .8v to make it start. ICP very well could be a part of your problem. You can check voltages without the scan tool but you will need a good scan tool that can read pids to do more diagnostics. Feel free to ask any questions i will do my best to answer them!!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:54 PM

I found one that had lost the needles in the lifter roller. customer said it had a misfire for some time. came in as a no start. engine oil pump was destroyed from matel chips. oddly they looked to large to fit through the pick up screen. wound up long blocking it, 8200 bucks.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 PM

Im not sure how accurate the voltmeter would be but i know that with KOEO icp voltage should be at .9 and pressure at 0psi anything above 30psi you have a bias icp, ipr should be 14.8%, KOER icp pressure should be grater than 500psi since thats the minimum psi required to fire injectors, monitor icp pressure when you incounter the crank no start if icp pressure is lower than 500psi you may have a high pressure oil leak and would suspect stand pipe o rings or stc fitting at fault..
Old 10-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEWILLE View Post
You mean just an engine for a grand? If its a running engine with decent mileage i would say thats a good deal!
Yes, complete engine with 03 turbo, from fan to flexplate, pan to top. Intake, EGR stuff, harness, all sensors, injectors, alt, etc. Seriously thinking about buying it for spares, plus can sell some parts to make some of the $ back.

Will have to see what I can do with the multimeter. Have an SCT but it says no codes present. Will it show the same as another handheld scanner?
Old 10-17-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEWILLE View Post
Ok upon our recommendations the customer is having us install a used engine with no warranty. Shop cost on a reman from ford was 11,000 dollars so clearly the used engine was a better route. I got the cab off this morning then got busy with other stuff while waiting for an engine. So monday i will tear down the junk engine and snap a few pictures of the destruction.
Is that eleven grand cost? also, you should talk the customer into installing a set of ARP's
Old 10-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal-powerstroke View Post
Im not sure how accurate the voltmeter would be but i know that with KOEO icp voltage should be at .9 and pressure at 0psi anything above 30psi you have a bias icp, ipr should be 14.8%, KOER icp pressure should be grater than 500psi since thats the minimum psi required to fire injectors, monitor icp pressure when you incounter the crank no start if icp pressure is lower than 500psi you may have a high pressure oil leak and would suspect stand pipe o rings or stc fitting at fault..
A voltmeter is very accurate!! .8v icp is what it needs to start, and about 40-50%ipr to start. Koeo icp voltage should be .18-.24v not .9v. If the voltages are incorect koeo that could also be a bad ground, or bad 5vref. But for the most part you are correct and its the sensor. The pressure should be 0 as stated. Just a rule of thumb, is every volt is about 600-650 psi. Yes anything lower while cranking or running may indicate a leak or failing pump...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.