Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

...To bulletproof, or not to Bulletproof

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Slaven131 
#1 ·
...That is the question

I have recently bought on 04 CCLB 4x4. 114k virgin, no mods whatsoever
I bought it and the FICM died the week after. It now seems to run decent and I did a basic Atlas 40 when repaired.

No major symptoms but I want the truck to last for another 200k if possible. No plans to do more than an exhaust, will pull a trailer occasionally.

All input greatly appreciated

Dan

#2 · (Edited)
If you have the money to do it now, then do it. If you don't, then take care of things that arise and work your way towards a "bulletproofed" truck.

#3 ·
If you do it now it's piece of mind for the most part (but it certainly isn't a guarantee you won't have problems). There are two ways of looking at this, by doing it now you do it when you say, holding off often means that the repair is due to a break down which is never convenient... Some trucks never have an issue, my dads 03 has 260k on it and has only done 4 injectors and a turbo, other than that the truck runs like new, my 05 has been a pain, already done gaskets once and need to do them again...

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys

After reading your responses this is where I'm landing.

I've lived most my life by the principles "stay prepared, and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" but I also believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

That said I'm leaning towards adding a coolant filter, monitor system, exhaust (for the egts) and debating on an egr delete(or not, possible bpd style tube cooler)

And open a separate savings account with 2k seed money.

Any thoughts?

Dan

#16 · (Edited)
Mine was a Virgin when I got it as well. It only had the Ficm replaced.

If you will rarely tow and don't plan to hot rod it around, leave the head gaskets and bolts on. Here are my recommendations. Take them how you will.

-Do a coolant flush (dieseltechron video)
-Add a coolant filter (smedling Diesel or sinister)
-Add a bypass oil filtration system (NUC Motorsports)
-EGR cooler delete (IPR Research eliminates the hose)
-Aftermarket up pipes with improved bellows
-Scangauge II or SCT to monitor vitals
-Do not tune!
-Change both fuel filters
-Change both trans filters and put in Mercon SP or equivalent fluid.
-Only use OEM Filters
-Archoil!

Stay on a strict maintenance schedule and always monitor your vitals. If you touch the EGR cooler, go the few extra steps and replace the oil cooler, Hpop, Hpop discharge tube, and ipr screen/seals. Use only Ford parts. No aftermarket junk!

This is just my opinion. Many others have great points too :grin:

#6 · (Edited)
I think that's a good plan. The only other thing I would add is an EGT probe if you're gonna tow.

-jokester

#7 ·
I'd run 5/40 synthetic, and do the "blue spring" update.

Reactions: jokester00
#8 ·
Get the monitor (I just use Torque Pro), and if the ECT/EOT delta is in range, and you aren't burping coolant, run it. I would also have the fuel pressure checked under WOT though, and do like TDiesel said about the fuel spring kit.

#10 ·
Remember, this forum, as good as it is, is only a small minority of the 6.0 liter owners out there. There are literally millions of these trucks still out on the road driven daily without issues. A monitor and getting to know your truck are your best options to keep you from dumping thousands into a ten plus year old truck.

#11 ·
ARCHOIL WILL SAVE THE WORLD!!!!!!

Reactions: Sock Puppet
#14 ·
Once you "seed" your savings account make sure you keep adding to it. Interest is basically zero and it won't grow on it's own. $2000 is not enough so keep putting money in till "that day" arrives and it won't be so bad. You need up to 4 times that amount depending on who does the work and how far you go. Good luck, I'm in the exact same position with my 05, the first thing I did was put and Edge Insight CTS2 pro in it with an EGT probe. My turbo is a little sticky but my plan is coolant swap first, then drive it to see if that trashed the oil cooler. Then I'll clean/overhaul turbo, egr, blue spring, exhaust, and oil cooler if needed. Then I'll drive it till it pukes. I do my own work so instead of money in the bank, I'm putting parts on the shelf. :)

#15 ·
I would absolutely do it. I bought an '07 F350 XLT w/ ~160k that has almost everything done already (ARP studs, OEM Ford gaskets, upgraded oil cooler, EGR delete, blue spring kit, STC fitting, turbo-back exhaust, and more.) I was scared to death of buying a "virgin"...I've had lots of vehicles and always ended up having to spend lots of money playing whack-a-mole, so I knew I didn't want to take a chance on the 6.0 PSD...which is almost guaranteed to present you with issue after issue if certain things aren't taken care of right away.

First thing to do is get something to monitor your ECT Δ EOT...Edge Insight or Scangauge II...if the temps are more than 14 degrees or so apart, upgrade your oil cooler and either upgrade your EGR cooler or delete it. If on the other hand the temp delta is normal, I'd just get a coolant filter kit thrown on there and keep monitoring the temps...

#18 ·
Those are the best for sure! I just may have one of my own before long 😀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.