To Buy a 6.0 or Not to Buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To Buy a 6.0 or Not to Buy

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I am thinking about buying a diesel truck for my next one. My '95 F150 has over 200k on it and is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I am looking at a 2005 F250 Crew cab 4X4 Lariat with 98k miles on it for a bit less than $20k. The truck is in very good condition and there are not even any scratches on the paint in the bed of the truck. The stealer has another 2005 that has 116k on it and was a few grand cheaper but that truck looked and sounded like it had been really used hard (the truck computer also was saying that it got 12 mpg ugh).

My question for all you diesel experts is exactly how reliable is the 6.0 engine? There are a lot of horror stories on the internet about engine problems with the 6.0 but I figure there are probably 10 good engines to every 1 you hear a bad story about. I figure the first thing to do would do the EGR delete if it hasn't been done already if I got the truck but how much time and money do you have to put into a 6.0 to keep it going.

I don't use my truck every day, mainly hauling my atv or pulling a boat on weekends or such. I guess I am spoiled by the old reliable 351 in my F150, 200K+ on it and all I have ever done is change the plugs and the oil in it. I don't really need a diesel but would like the towing power and economy of one over a gas engine.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenM View Post
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I am thinking about buying a diesel truck for my next one. My '95 F150 has over 200k on it and is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I am looking at a 2005 F250 Crew cab 4X4 Lariat with 98k miles on it for a bit less than $20k. The truck is in very good condition and there are not even any scratches on the paint in the bed of the truck. The stealer has another 2005 that has 116k on it and was a few grand cheaper but that truck looked and sounded like it had been really used hard (the truck computer also was saying that it got 12 mpg ugh).

My question for all you diesel experts is exactly how reliable is the 6.0 engine? There are a lot of horror stories on the internet about engine problems with the 6.0 but I figure there are probably 10 good engines to every 1 you hear a bad story about. I figure the first thing to do would do the EGR delete if it hasn't been done already if I got the truck but how much time and money do you have to put into a 6.0 to keep it going.

I don't use my truck every day, mainly hauling my atv or pulling a boat on weekends or such. I guess I am spoiled by the old reliable 351 in my F150, 200K+ on it and all I have ever done is change the plugs and the oil in it. I don't really need a diesel but would like the towing power and economy of one over a gas engine.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?
First off, , Second, the 6.0L is a great engine. You will hear alot of people bad mouthing them, trust me, I was one of them. People will never know how good a 6.0L can be if you treat them right. I've got an '03 with 108,000 miles on it and haven't had and issues with the truck until now. I have an oil leak, but that is just coming from the ICP sensor. My dad has an '03 as well and with almost 170,000 miles is just now starting to have problems with the injectors, his truck gets worked hard everyday. Get an EGR delete, Exhaust, and some gauges and you should have a truck that you love. If you want to risk it, you could also get an SCT for a litte extra , but then you run a higher risk of blowing your gaskets. BTW, get an Oasis report and post it up on here. Good luck with what ever you choose

-French
Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The maintenence on a diesel will cost a bit more, but that is parallel to the on your face when you have 15k behind you and you're passing prius's

As for the 6.0, I love mine, haven't had any issues with it. I've only got 30k on it, but dont foresee anything. Be sure to get an Oasis report and use that to make a decision after making sure the truck is sound otherwise. Ppost pics if you buy
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oasis report? Newb question time.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 AM

A report of what repairs have been made, or not been made. Head gaskets, EGR problems, oil cooler, and anything else its been to the dealer for

Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is the Oasis report on the truck. It looks pretty clean to me with the only warranty work being done last month when it was traded in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DOC010.pdf (81.1 KB, 93 views)
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM

That's a little different OASIS report format than what I have previously seen. However, it looks as though the EGR and oil coolers were replaced at 98,185mi, along with one battery.

I believe you have till 100kmiles or 12/30/09 to purchase the ESP warranty, which would extend the Ford factory 5yr/100k warranty to 84mo/200k.

Batteries should be replaced in pairs, so you may want to verify whether one or both batteries were replaced.

Beyond that, with a new EGR and oil cooler under the hood, that's a pretty good report that certainly wouldn't scare me away from buying the truck.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM

If you got money to spend on the proper mods, the truck will be awesome. No doubt.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One more question for you guys before I bit the bullet and get the truck. It has no bedliner and the bed of the truck looks like it just came from the factory (no scratches or any sign of wear in the bed) but it does have a hole in the middle for a goose neck hitch. Would it have come with that hole for a hitch or did someone remove the goose neck before they traded it in?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:02 AM

I'd say they removed the hitch to put in their new truck

Get us some pics when you pick up your new rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.