Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Direct clutch or direct drive solenoid

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  EKSPowerstroke 
#1 ·
My truck has developed a 3-5 flare under moderate throttle. It also has a pretty good delay going into gear (park to drive, drive to reverse) trying to figure out if I need to order a direct clutch solenoid or a direct drive solenoid to help cure the problem. Gear head recommends staying OEM which I have no problem with. Just need to know which to order.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 ·
Anyone?? I searched and read a bunch of threads and believe I'm on the right track with the direct clutch...

#3 ·
kind of hard to say, transmissions are tough. How many miles are on it? Do you beat on the thing? How's the transmission fluid look. I would figure it would throw a code if it was a solenoid problem. Not too sure though. I had the same problem in mine before I decided to take it apart completely and rebuild it. I found the overdrive clutches in mine were toast. Among a couple other issues. I'll look in my ATSG manual to see if it has anyway to test the solenoids. From first hand experience rebuilding this transmission has been nothing short of a nightmare.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply whitetail. 182K miles on the trans and a complete trans service was done with the motor was pulled for a rebuild. Converter was pulled and drained, then all new SP fluid and filter was replaced. I don't beat on the truck at all. Every once in a while I'll get on it but not even close to running it hard. It's weird though, moderate regular driving and it seems to do it. But if I get on it pretty good it is firm and crisp. I have never seen trans temps over 160.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.