Switch to Amsoil at 110k miles?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Switch to Amsoil at 110k miles??

My g/f's '04 Excursion just rolled 110k miles and its due for an oil change. Has anyone had issues switching to 15w40 Synthetic oil after running regular oil since new. I plan to use Amsoils EAO filter and a Fumoto valve for easy sample collection. I know that motors should run a Ford oil filter, am I safe to assume that a quality product from Amsoil is safe too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've considered it too...

I was also wondering about switching my 04 f250 with 95k to amsoil but I was told by the local amsoil dealer that a lot of people who switched to full synthetic after 75k miles noticed leaking in various places. I have yet to get a solid second opinion on this and I just want to know if it's worth it to switch with my truck's current mileage.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnbones-kickrocks View Post
I was also wondering about switching my 04 f250 with 95k to amsoil but I was told by the local amsoil dealer that a lot of people who switched to full synthetic after 75k miles noticed leaking in various places. I have yet to get a solid second opinion on this and I just want to know if it's worth it to switch with my truck's current mileage.
older synthetic and synthetic blends would cause seals to shrink and worn seals that shrunk would cause leaks. this is not the case with newer synthetics and seal leakage should not be a problem. amsoil,mobil1 all the stuff on the shelf today will not shrink seals.
i cant say that changing to synthetic after using the "high mileage" oils marketed for engines with high miles will not present this problem because i am not sure if those high mileage blend may contain seal swelling additives to slow leaks
Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does Rotella make a high mileage blend??
Old 10-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieyukon View Post
Does Rotella make a high mileage blend??
no.

but they did reformulate their Rotella T6 5w-40 for better soot dispersion and a higher TBN to be competitive in the synthetic extended drain race. its now very comparable to the amsoil. i haven't seen a comparison chart on all the key specs, yet. but at first glance it looks like a real quality product. i have always been an amsoil guy myself. but most heavy duty truckers swear by shell.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

I switched over around 80k miles. my truck had leaks before PCV gasket and HPOP fitting. After replacing those I haven't had any other leaks. I don't remember if they leaked after or before though. Regardless they were just worn Orings. I did hear mention though to use a cheaper filter and swap that out after a few miles. I never did that though.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 PM

the filter change after 500-1000 miles would be a good idea. because the dispersant and soot controlling additives in the extended drain interval oils may pick up some debris that the old oil didn't and its will keep you from clogging a expensive amsoil or a Donaldson filter up with old dirt.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Yeah what he said, I really like that EO filter.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

interesting

well, that sheds some light on the subject... So I guess I have nothing to lose with changing the fluids then. A couple other things I'm thinking about are: I just changed the oil with mobil 15 40 almost 1k miles ago but if I'm going to change to full synthetic I want to do it sooner and not later, especially since I have some long drives and tows coming up soon. Also, I've had a couple people tell me to transition with a synthetic blend first and then to full synthetic. I'm not entirely sure of the logic with that, but if there is some true reasoning behind it, maybe someone here could explain.

Last edited by burnbones-kickrocks; 10-14-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM

you should have nothing to worry about. i would switch over to synthetic as soon as possible, your injectors will love you for it. i am an amsoil dealer and own a 05 f250 supcab 4x4 in ohio and have 87000 mile and have never been to the dealer. i run the bmk-21 bypass kit and 15w-40 hdd pre 2007 oil in the summer, and 5w-30 amsoil diesel oil in the winter. i also run stanadyne performance formula fuel additive every tank and have had no egr issues with increased fuel milage. feel free to ask any questions on any of the products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.