Powerloss in my Powerstroke!..??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerloss in my Powerstroke!..???

The truck is a 05 PSD I have noticed a decrease in power since I have done my performance mods which are a innovative sct street tune,MBRP 4 turbo back with cat delete and intake i dont even rember which one there are no boost leaks that i know of it builds around 22-24 psi in low gears in third it makes a good 27-30 psi and it holds boost pretty good from there ive done all the normal boost leak checks it has "NO" leaks on the hotside or cold side pipe's. The main thing i notice is that from a stop it want break the tires loose unless you brake boost it and then once its rolling it just doesnt have the go that it use to which leads me to wonder if maybe the fuel pump could possibly be weak. Is that possible ? The truck has no misses pulls my race car just fine but it jus seems like it has had i would say probably a total 20% loss in power now i have about 18,000 miles on my fuel filters and they were all fresh when all the mods were done ive got a new set ordered i almost hope to see them nasty and have the truck run better but i just have a feeling something else is wrong. Btw there is no smoke or overheating or misses truck runs perfectly fine just has a loss in overall power. Anybody have any ideas ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

ya i would hope the filters are dirty if not have a shop run a fuel pressure test it should only be about 100 dollars but since theres no smoke at all i think your on the right track
Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you tried reflashing your truck with ur street tune again. On my innovative tune if i flip my turbo on and off it'll throw a code and defuel itself until its reflashed just an idea
Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Powerstroker6.0 View Post
have you tried reflashing your truck with ur street tune again. On my innovative tune if i flip my turbo on and off it'll throw a code and defuel itself until its reflashed just an idea
Ok with that being said there should be a code in the ecu for the defueling correct ?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy#1 View Post
ya i would hope the filters are dirty if not have a shop run a fuel pressure test it should only be about 100 dollars but since theres no smoke at all i think your on the right track
With that being said how at a shop are they going to test base pressure i could just buy a billet cap and install a manual gauge couldn't I But buy testing it that way you cant really see if there if there is a pressure loss under load would a weak pump show signs at a idle ? what kind of base pressure due these engines run ?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ex View Post
Ok with that being said there should be a code in the ecu for the defueling correct ?
possibly in your stored dtc, it wont throw a cel or be picked up on your sct, only a ford dealer computer will pick it up. just saying try doing it.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:03 AM

FYI - 10k miles is the fuel filter change interval for severe service (heavy towing, high fueling w/ a tuner, biodiesel, etc). You can do injector damage quick w/ low fuel pressure.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I reflashed it this morning when I got to work I have not had a chance to drive it hard. I'm probably going to wait until the new fuel filters are here till I go try some wot. But I did notice that with my sct tuner pluged up I went to datalog and my voltage was 12.8 @idle and 13.1-13.2 at 2000 rpm truck doesn't act like it has low voltage or any problems starting
but I did put the altenator on it right about the time I put all the mods on my truck it was a pep boys reman but that voltage sounds low to me. I'm going to check It with a good meter when I get off work. Btw I thought that you went around 15,000 on the fuel filters but hell I'll change every other oil change if that's what it takes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 AM

the 4" turbo-back exaust will hurt your bottom-end a little, but just start with changing fuel filters & use high quality fuel with a cetane improver for a couple of tanks to see if there is an improvement, you shouldn't ever go over 15,000 mi. of fuel filters, and if when you change them they are dirty drop to 10,000 mi., i have my own bulk tank, so i have a constant in fuel supply, and have never had an issue with fuel filters, but filling at low volume stations are fuel system killers, and its more common than you might think
Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I use diesel kleen cetane booster with what ever lube it comes with in it everytank of fuel. I'm begining to think that I might be a fuel filter issue with the added issue or not a bad altenator but one that is not putting out proper voltage cause I also replaced the batterys when I did the altenator which should have let the voltage stay good for a while then possibly get weaker after time a psd should be like any other 12 volt car and the battery static should be around 12.5-12.9 volts in a good charged state and should idle with 12.8-13.2 and past 2000 rpm it should be more like 14.1-14.3 correct ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.