fuel pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel pressure

A guy that used to work for the ford dealer and on 6.0s said if u take the fuel pressure regulator spring out and stretch it about a quarter inch that will increase hp a good bit. He said it was good for the injectors also by not letting them starve for fuel. Is there any truth to this. He said he done a truck with just the head gaskets done and he said it outrun a 6.0 that had a 75hp tune, he didnt say what kind of tuner it had. He also said that this is what the ford engineer said to do for repeated failing injectors. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 AM

My advice would be not to mess with the regulator spring unless you have a way to check fuel pressure.

Do a search for "BB mod".
Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 AM

I did a search for bb mod and come up with nothing. So what is a bb mod?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 AM

Pretty simple really, you take a BB out of your BB gun and shim the spring with it. The hardest part about this whole mod is getting to the spring. Good luck with the mod. BTW, I agree with the above response, I wouldn't do any fuel mods unless you know what your fuel pressure is.

-French
Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 AM

My apologies, PowerstrockedSC. To my surprise, there is very little in the 6.0 forums on this site about the BB mod.

Countryboy07 hit the nail on the head. You pull the four screws that hold the regulator cover to the side of the fuel filter house. When the cover comes loose, be careful not to lose the brass cup, the spring, or the plastic air bleed fitting. Place a BB in the brass cup and button everything back up again. This adds about 10 - 12 psi of pressure.

So long as your pressures don't drop more than a few psi at WOT, your pump is still supplying the necessary flow at the higher pressure. If your pressures fall quite a bit at WOT after the mod, your pump is tired.

PS:
I have a feeling that your "guy who used to work for the ford dealer" is full of BS when he claims that a Ford engineer instructed him to stretch the regulator spring to eliminate repeated injector failings.

Last edited by w_huisman; 10-14-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_huisman View Post
When the cover comes loose, be careful not to lose the brass cup, the spring, or the plastic air bleed fitting.
If you lose any of these pieces, your going to have a little bit more time involved I droped the spring on my dads truck and couldn't find it for the life of me. I just about gave up and was going to order a new one but then out of nowhere, I found it. What should have taken me about 30 min or so, took me 2hrs

-French
Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
I would save your money and do a fuel system. the theory is there but I dont trust all that.

I hold 60psi at wot. I deleted the bowl up top and just feed the heads with their own lines coming off a Y block. no return back to the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.