Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Monitoring Vref with Torque

13K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  MKT 
#1 · (Edited)
Is anyone doing it? I can't seem to find it in the Extended PIDs list from Torque. Might be me.

If not... I know that it's on the PID list and I've read of people watching it with their SCII. Looking for the Torque app 411.

#2 ·
I posted that (^^^) a long time back and got no response. I just figured it was because everyone was drunk. It was 1:46 in the afternoon, after all... :)

So... I did run across the Torque codes for Vref later and just remembered this thread. Here you are (to complete the thread):

VREF
TXD: 07E0221155
RXF: 046205110655
RXD: 3010
MTH: 000133330000
NAM: CVI

I haven't tested it yet, but have no reason to believe that it won't work just fine.

#16 · (Edited)
So... I got around to putting Vref into Torque. It appears to work fine. Here's the poop:

First, to recap... Vref is a regulated 5.0V reference produced by the PCM that powers - among other things - the EBP, ICP, MAP, and barometric pressure sensors. If it drops due to chafing or a single failed sensor, it tends to bring the remaining sensors down and produce a crapload of seemingly unrelated codes. It may not need constant monitoring, but - given its high importance - an occasional glance is good.

As @renoyote said in the last post, the only thing really needed from before was the PID code.

VREF
TXD: 07E0221155
The voltage is reported in the same way most of the others are - in two memory locations that result in a number from 0-65536 representing 0-5V.

Here's the config screen showing the PID and equation converting to 5V full scale:

...and - with it - you can have great screens like this:

AWESOME!

#4 · (Edited)
Vref is a regulated 5.0V reference produced by the PCM that powers - among other things - the EBP, ICP, MAP, and barometric pressure sensors. If it drops much below 4.92V, it tends to cause problems. ...and if one malfunctioning sensor or chafed harness point pulls it down, the other sensors powered by it will begin to malfunction producing a collection of codes that make diagnosis difficult.

Vbat is... Vbat.

Apples and oranges.

Edited to add...
You can find a wiring diagram for your truck here, if it helps:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...res-single-page-6-0l-wiring-diagram-pdfs.html

Reactions: renoyote
#5 ·
What is it and why do I need to monitor it?

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

#7 ·
What is it and why do I need to monitor it?

I don't know t hat I can add much more to my explanation in post #4 above. Basically, it supplies critical sensors and - when one of those sensors failing or a harness problem drag it down - they all go.

djmaguire, Good info! Thanks! I think that Torque Pro will show Vref under one of the FICM voltage PIDs... There are three or four to choose from. I have the one showing the 47.5 - 48VDC but first used one showing about 5VDC before I found the one I really wanted.
I did not find Vref in the Torque extended PIDs, but it could be that it is in there mislabeled as a FICM-related voltage - which it most certainly is not. I will compare the FICM PIDs with the codes that I found above.

#9 ·
By "still," I am assuming that you mean since my original post on August 17th of last year.

...and there's no law against moderating while intoxicated. Otherwise, the whole lot of you would be sharing a 1200 baud modem connection from the prison library...

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#11 ·
I think that you are missing the point of my post #2...

While I agree that Vref is not in the preprogrammed Torque Ford extended PIDs, Torque can be used to monitor any PID - provided that the PID address is known.

Vref is a valid Ford 6.0 PID as defined by the documentation. Post #2 above provides the PCM memory address location for Vref. From that, anyone can program a custom Vref reading in Torque (or any other monitor). That's my point.

When I added to this thread, I had no idea of the life that I was giving it!

Reactions: G8orFord
#12 ·
So, since the thread is about vRef in Torque, why did you post the Scangauge settings and not a screenshot of the Torque PID screen? :poke :sofa:

Reactions: endothermicbiped
#13 ·
Okay... okay... I said... I haven't entered it into Torque. I just haven't had a chance to do it yet.

Reactions: G8orFord
#15 ·
VREF is Ford PID 1155. In Torque Pro, I think that would be 221155. All that is needed is the formula to take raw reading to a usable output, which I have no clue about, and there ya go...

Just enter all that into a custom PID for Torque Pro and you should get Vref.

The list of PIDs can be found in a nifty pdf document here: http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/200304PIDs.pdf

#17 ·
Pics fixed.

#18 ·
Thanks for this PID for Torque djmaguire!

After my last trip up to Flagstaff I started throwing P0069 and P0470 DTCs, noticed that my MAP reading would fluctuate, usually climbing a grade. I still have to look at the wiring diagram you linked, but I suspect the EBP comes before the MAP and that my sensor or tube might be getting fouled. I stumbled into this thread while searching for possible causes to those DTCs.

#20 ·
Thanks for this PID for Torque djmaguire! ...
Glad to help.

... I stumbled into this thread while searching for possible causes to those DTCs.
Do this first. VVVVV

Not to hard to check the MAP hose. They tend to crack and leak. Mine looked brand new from the outside, but when I did a pressure check, I heard it leaking from the MAP hose.
If it isn't the map hose - go here:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/g...missions-diagnosis-service-manual-2004-a.html

...and look up the DTCs in Section 4. The table near the end of that document will point you to the approriate Pinpoint Tests in Section 5.

Reactions: MKT and Patriot
#19 ·
Not to hard to check the MAP hose. They tend to crack and leak. Mine looked brand new from the outside, but when I did a pressure check, I heard it leaking from the MAP hose.

#21 ·
Thanks for linking those files!

I know I wrote that my MAP values were acting funny and I had some MAP DTCs but it was actually my MAF numbers that were really acting up. Bad enough I began having driveability issues around town. I noticed my EBP numbers were looking a bit high at idle, then while watching Torque and driving, what I would see is my EBP would spike high and at the same time MAF would drop to 20-30 G/S, then recover. When MAF would drop the engine would feel like it was cutting out, the EBP spikes and MAF drops would only happen at steady throttle.

I did recheck my MAP hose to make sure everything was still good there as I replaced the hose and cleared the nipple when I first started chasing my P0299 DTC, everything is still good there. With being able to actually watch the EBP and MAF numbers fluctuate in unison I suspected the EBP sensor or tube might be the issue (with the guess that the high spike of exhaust pressure might be triggering the MAF readings...just a guess).

For a shade tree test I unplugged the EBP, started Torque and fired up the truck. First thing I noticed was EBP KOEO was steady at 6.3, once started it remained at 6.3 and my VGT was no longer pegged at 85% at idle. A quick drive showed the driveability issue I was having was cleared up too. A new sensor and tube have been ordered and should arrive this afternoon. I know I could clean the tube, but opted to order a replacement just in case as it was only something like $25.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.