How do TC work??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do TC work???

Ok guys i guess for me to better understand whats goin on with my truck rite now i need to start with the basics. My question is how is lockup controled in my TC, what actuates/controls or makes the clutches lock up. I know the 5r110 is an electronic trans, i keep seeing these lockup control modules that you can buy. The issues im having are what i belive to be my TC acting up but i cant acuratley troubleshoot this untill i know exactly how the thing works . Anyone have any words of wisdom or expertice in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte

I am new here but it is my understanding that the powertrain control module "PCM" has full control of the 5r110. All shifts and lockups are controlled by it. Some custom tunings also have transmission "strategies" to change the behavior. Those lockup control modules are not applicable on the 5r110. It is all software in the PCM. And the software is changeable. Also the 5r110 is actually a 6 speed transmission but the 4th gear is only used when it is cold or in some other rare conditions.

There is all kinds of info write ups around about it. I am just typing stuff i have read.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egmonster View Post
I am new here but it is my understanding that the powertrain control module "PCM" has full control of the 5r110. All shifts and lockups are controlled by it. Some custom tunings also have transmission "strategies" to change the behavior. Those lockup control modules are not applicable on the 5r110. It is all software in the PCM. And the software is changeable. Also the 5r110 is actually a 6 speed transmission but the 4th gear is only used when it is cold or in some other rare conditions.

There is all kinds of info write ups around about it. I am just typing stuff i have read.
thats some good info...you must live close by NADP

most dont know about it being a 6 speed.

Also i will add that the tq converter is a very simple design and not anything different then your average. with a little google search you will find alot of answers. that what i did when i wanted to learn about it.

banks actually has a good article about it...check it out and if theres anything else you want to know just ask away,...

Banks Power | Understanding Torque Converters
Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egmonster View Post

Thanks for all the info guys. As far as the trans controler, aperrently ATS makes one for the 5R110. Its called the Co-Pilot, heres the link Copilot For Ford - ATS Diesel. Ive just been having trans issues for the past few months and theres not much i can do untill i understand whats goin on. Just recently my tow haul mode quit working and it just makes the trans/tc grind when i try to engage it...
Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte

Well I got it mostly right. LOL I am new here. I didn't know they made a control module like that for the 5R110. OUCH on the price. I am just guessing but a good custom tune may do much of what that module would do for you. You couldn't change on the fly though. That would be cool but OMFG that is a high price to pay.

What sorts of issues are you having? I don't know much but some guys here are very knowledgeable.

Last edited by Egmonster; 10-09-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling idiocy
Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 AM

Yea man, its prety pricey.. lol well the issue ive been having with my trans has kind of changed. There for a while it was extended upshifts and i was feeling a grinding through my floorboard. Now Tow/Haul wont engage and when i do try to engage it the trans starts to grind like previously stated but really bad. Like scary bad.... i dont know what to do with it. I live on a navy base so pullin the trans to take a look is almost out of the question... Its been fairly intermitten untill now, i found that putting the truck in tow haul really agravates it. Now im not to sure what the PCM is having the trans/tc do when put in tow haul. I dont know if its just a gear change or presure inside the tc is increased idk...
Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte

Hmmm. That does not sound very cool. I don't know much about transmissions but perhaps there could be some trouble codes you could read out of the PCM with a scanner?? If it won't go into tow mode the PCM must have some sort of code in it as to why. If you had a program like autoenginuity you could probably see what it is calling for in the outputs. Again i am shooting in the dark here. I really don't know. If you are on a real budget perhaps you could put a tap on the wires going to the tc lockup solenoid to see what the PCM is asking for with a voltmeter or test light?? Just a thought.

I am guessing the clutch in your TC is going/gone. Have you checked the oil pan for signs of carnage?

I imagine someone who actually knows WTF he is talking about will chime in here and give you some ideas. LOL
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Does the fluid from the trans go into the TC? no i havent checked the pan. How much does it ushually cost for the fluid and filter for a trans service. Im kinda tight on money but i may do this just to see what the heck is goin on. Id like to drop the trans pan and see if theres any debris in the bottom. you can feel the grinding all the time though, some times its worse than others and when you put a load on it the grinding gets worse.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 AM

im gona be investing in the autoenginuity program when funds are available.. lol As i have more issues with the truck right now besides the trans issue.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte

Ya all the fluid is common. If you have problems anywhere in the trans it will end up in the pan. Small amounts of metal are not uncommon, so I am told, but carnage will be very evident there if you have some. It all sounds rather bleak though, to tell you the truth.

That program is supposed to be a good one. You may just be able to go to a shop and get them to read it without it costing you too much.

What other issues are you having with your truck?

Edit: unfortunately i think Mercon SP fluid is kind of expensive. You can only get 8 quarts out of the tranny by dropping the pan. To get all 18 out you have to do a flush. But still if you are just looking for metalic badness, dropping the pan is all you need to do. The filter should not be that much. it is more of a screen anyways. There is also an external inline filter. Just make sure you get SP fluid.

Last edited by Egmonster; 10-09-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.