2wd or 4wd?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2wd or 4wd??

Ok so i found a 2wd truck ext cab long bed for 16k had 80000 on it or should i go with the 4wd truck with 114000 for 19k? Which is better i have had 2 jeeps both 4wd and barley ever used it maybe twice but that was it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't consider a 2 wheel drive, but thats just me.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:25 PM

No 2wd drives for me but that's just me. + 1 for 4wd.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 AM

The first time you dont have 4wd is gonna be the time you need it. Always be prepared +1 for 4wd
Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Emergency Services

What are your plans for the truck? That would dictate (to me at least) your need for a 4wd system.Is it going to be show, race, custom (lowrider) or are you going to haul, tow, go hunting, etc with it?I'm with the rest of the crowd on this one. If I'm going to have a truck, it's going to be a 4wd. For the $$, maybe a coulple grand more, you can ge a nice 4wd in this marketIf you're going off road or planning on hauling a boat in and out of the water, for me, it's a must.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:33 AM

I bought my 350 2wd b/c the price was right and the only reason I am looking at getting rid of it for another superduty is b/c it is 2WD. Gotta have that flexibility IMO; at least for how I use a truck. I've never owned a 2wd truck before this, and I never will again.

Look used hard enough and 4wd is a pretty cheap option (nowhere near the 3k between the two you are looking at!!!!) so why not get it. There's a TON of 4wd's out there. Between those 2 trucks there must be some major differences to justify $3k more for the vehicle with 34,000 more miles on it because 4WD ain't enough to account for that by itself. I would use the price of the lower mileage 2wd to get the 4wd price down and go with that. That much higher mileage offsets the 4wd option easily if everything else is similar (that may be the kicker).
Old 10-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Go with the 4WD. The PS is too heavy up front. In 2WD mine will almost get stuck on wet grass depending on the angle its parked.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Texas View Post
Go with the 4WD. The PS is too heavy up front. In 2WD mine will almost get stuck on wet grass depending on the angle its parked.
That's no lie. I've had to throw it in 4wd to get out of gravel lots at construction sites several times. I feel like an idiot, but it'll bury itself axle deep immediately in loose gravel if you have the back unloaded. I've had a few 2wd f150s and never had that problem; it's just the huge imbalance of weight here.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 AM

Im going to use it as a dd and tow some small landscape equip, mowers and maybe a tt that my dad has other then that not much really ill look for a 4wd but when getting it used its hard to tell if it has been off road i dont want to end up replacing half a truck that i payed 20k for cause money is tight here in jeresy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.