Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

VERY loud exhaust/engine noise

5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  invintive 
#1 ·
First time posting, so take it easy on me.

I have an early 2004 F250 6.0L. Last night after I got on the highway as I was accelerating I herd a pop and then an awful loud exhaust type noise. It didn't die, but it lost most of its power. No engine lights, no leaks, and all of my gauges were normal. It started up just fine so I limped it home (about 2 miles). It is LOUD though. Definitely coming from the engine bay. I'm pretty sure it's an exhaust leak, but from all of my searching no one is saying anything about the noise. I've seen people describe a helicopter sound, but this sounds like a helicopter is coming in to land on the engine! No one complaining of exhaust leaks mentions anything about them being unbearably loud. It makes me wonder if it's not an exhaust leak and something much worse. I mean, it sounds like a funny car getting ready to tear down a drag strip. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Do you get any boost at all?

#4 ·
Check your intercooler boots and pipes really well. I bet you blew a boot

#5 ·
That or one of the plastic side caps on the CAC (intercooler).

#7 ·
I blew the side cap off of an intercooler before and it was LOUD.

#8 ·
Isn't late 2004 when they switched over to the plastic cold side tube? If you have that instead of a metal tube, check it carefully for ruptures. Plastic tubes are a common failure point. Underneath the air cleaner is a bellowed section. That was where mine split.

#9 ·
Yes, 04 is when they went to the plastic cold side pipe.

#11 ·
#12 ·
That's a completely different sound than all the boost/exhaust leak I've had.

Umm maybe the turbo gave up??????

EDIT: MEDIC!!!!! @toren302

#13 · (Edited)
leaning towards the turbo chipping some fins of the wheel, listened to the video, maybe the motor ate the fin. Real hard to say without a code but I'd start at the turbo and check it out

#14 ·
Yeah, now that I've heard it today it's much more of a knock sound. I think I was in total denial last night. I think it's odd that it starts up just like normal. I will say I can't hear the turbo at all, and it used to be pretty noticeable when it'd spool up.

#15 ·
Take the turbo out and check the compressor wheel, or just check the whole thing I've, I'd be willing to bet there are some missing parts. It's the easiest place to start

#16 ·
Pull the air intake off and have a look at the fins. That will be the quickest way to start getting an idea of what's going on. If you see some chit is missing then continue taking more stuff off and yank the turbo.

#18 ·
Depending on what might have come apart and how, I am sure there is a very good chance stuff went into the intake manifold and into the motor, but I am no expert.

Just for chits and giggles... Did you check the side caps of your intercooler?

#21 ·
The intercooler is in front of your radiator and what your intercooler pipes connect to. You can pull back or remover the black plastic cover, on top by the hood latch, between the grill and radiator to get a better look at it.

#22 ·
No I didn't check for blow by. I'm honestly pretty uncomfortable starting it. It's one of those sounds that makes you want to shut it down the instant you hear it. I definitely agree the sound is in time with the engine. Increases with rpm's and everything. This is the first diesel I've owned, so I don't know what different problems sound like (injectors/push rods/rockers).

#24 ·
Sounds like valve train to me, but I don't read videos well. I wouldn't think anything in the turbo and CAC system would sound like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.