Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

need to lift my truck more but how much

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Rattlesnake18 
#1 ·
had a set of 37s on 12 wides. just bought some 14 wides off a buddy who had a cummins, so i used 2 inch adapters. sitting at 16 wides on 37s. i didn't rub one bit with my old tires, but now i can't even get out of my driveway i rub so bad. anyone know how big i need to go? i was a 8 inch lift kit with 2 inch coil spacers so 10 in the front 8 in back. not trying to spend thousands on coilers when i can get a 8 inch kit for 1600$ from rough country.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Sell the wheels and tires and get some that have more functionality.

Reactions: mhatlen and Msp079
#5 ·
With that wide of a setup you are going to need the bottom of the body line to clear the top of the tires. Looks like you need another 8" or so. I do not think you are going to find a cheap or easy solution for that, unless you sell the wheels and tires.

#7 ·
To me it looks like things are just waiting to snap at any moment.

What's the purpose of having wheels like that anyway?

#9 ·
That's definitely no a cheap solution by any means. Have to agree with the others, sell the wheels and tires and go with a normal size tire. Without spending big bucks to do it right it's not going to be safe.

#10 ·
had a feeling people were gonna bash having the wide tires, and spacers... but besides that i was just wondering what size lift id need... i was wondering if i a 8inch+2inch coil spacer so 10 inch lift would clear them? or would i have to go high. a buddy of mine has a leaf sprung 7.3 10 inch lift and he clears the same setup. not sure if theres a difference in height between leaf and coil lifts

#13 ·
Yea ...........but besides that:......... No back to that, I just don't get it what in the hell am I missing here because that looks like Dog $hit and is a disgrace to the SuperDuty in general. Now if there is a Gang Bangin Forum on the internet that's where your questions should be asked.

All of us guys here care about our trucks and give recommendations for reliability, safety and help each other out with advise and our experiences with products tried etc. What you have there is just plane dangerous and that has to be the most rediculas looking wheel and tire stance I have ever seen. You are not going to get any help here nor any recommendations because the way your truck is now.

What you have rolling down the public roads may kill some poor guy that was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when your wheel sheares off at 75 mph and goes through his windshield etc etc etc.

I second the Yo @layson

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#11 ·
Yo @layson, got any input for this guy?

#12 ·
I would consider the 4 link suspension...But again I x2 on selling the tires and going with a smaller set up....Anything really over 8 inches of lift will compromise the ride etc severely....Im rolling 37s on a 6 inch Icon suspension and no worries on rubbing and the stance is nice.

#14 ·
that's your opinion on how it looks, i don't care if you think it looks ridiculous or not, I like it. it's my truck.i was asking a simple question on how much of a lift to clear a tire, not hey can you tell me if this looks stupid? obviously I liked the Setup so I put it on. it's my personal preference. yes it can be a hazard running spacers which I understand, never heard anyone in person say my wheel fell off. just read things over the Internet, I torqued them down, and plan on making sure they're torqued down every 6 months or so.

#19 ·
I'll admit I was harsh but those wheel spacer adapters ARE dangerous and highly illegal for street use in California. I have seen with my own eyes the studs snap off a 76 Chevy 4X4. The driver side front wheel let go and actually passed him up, he slammed on the brakes and the passenger side wheel yanked him off the road into a ditch and the truck rolled several times. Was a gorgeous step side truck and it was my neighbor. It happens....trust me it does. In his case he had them to fit a non GM wheel not for the purpose of making the tire hang out pass the body.
There are so many reasons not to do that and as soon as you get the ticket for it you have to hang mud flaps on it
and that really looks awesome.

Steering is adversely affected.
Wheel bearing life is dramatically affected.
Wheels are stressed more, especially when 100lbs. of tire is hung on them.
Tires wear out 2-3 times faster due to scrubbing in turns due to kingpin C/L is way off center.
Ride will suffer from stance.
Risk of failure is high, most often from becoming loose because of heat cycles. Aluminum expands almost twice the amount of steel. Enough cycles and they will loosen up by themselves. They must be maintained....

I have the spacers on three of my own vehicles. That is the truth but they are quad runners.
Good Luck with them...........

#15 ·
24"s, lift it 24"s and you should be good...

Reactions: mhatlen
#16 ·
What's the offset of the old wheels versus the new wheels? Your offset on any wheels need to account for the spacers if you are going to run them. At any rate, the spacers have pushed the wheels quite a bit outside of the wheel well, which is likely why you are rubbing so much. A lift may help, but you'll still need to do some trimming to get full lock to lock steering without rubbing. Despite what the other's say about the looks, I personally like that setup, but it's the wheels and the spacers that are causing you all this grief and in my opinion, you'd be better off to get something designed for the Super Duty.

#17 ·
If you are dead set on keeping those wheels and tires, which it sounds like you are. You NEED to get the entire body over top of the tire or cut your body and bumper. You said you have what, an 8" or 10" lift in the front? If that is the case, you need to measure from the bottom of your body line/bottom of bumper to the top of your tire. That is the amount of additional lift you will need to not rub. Based on the pictures, probably around 16-18" of lift. This is going to make your truck VERY top heavy, but as you said its your truck. Good luck.

#20 ·
yea I figured I may need a little trim, but no I'm on about a 6in right now. now I was already on 37s before I put these tires on but they were only 12 wides. now I'm on 14 wides with 2 inch spacers so it sticks out more with the offset too, I was going to buy a 8inch kit but run a 2inch coil spacer on top of the 8inches so it's 10overall at least in the front. like I said a friend of mine has I think a 03 7.3 leaf spring 10inch lift and he clears 14 wides same offset with the same 2 inch spacers. so that's what gave me the idea of buying a 8inch kit then just add the spacer on. one of my buddies has a 12 inch lift on 40s with a 16 wide tire he was fine, leaf sprung 6.0
so I'm not sure if the lift heigh is differant between coils and leafs but if he ran 40s on 16s I'm sure I could get away with 37s on 16s with a 10inch just like my friend with the 7.3

#18 · (Edited)
Seems like someone wants to be the next feature of truckrice sitting on the side of the road using his tire as a jackstand.

The wheel size isn't the problem, the fact that you went to a 8x6.5 lug with the use of a cheap spacer is. Unless you had a pro shop fab them up for you, high quality sellers don't sell adapters for different lug patterns. Even if you did get highquality spacers it would have been cheaper to get proper new wheels then the used wheels and spacers.

FYI the solution isn't lifting the front of your truck to make it look like a squatting dog.

Also your friend with the 7.3 has a narrower axle then yours so even though he has 16 wides they aren't pushed out as much as yours. Each year of the superduty is different and it seems like you should learn more about your truck before you try and change it.

#23 ·
new tire 1" wider. new wheel backspacing pushed out 2-3" farther. Spacers push out 2" farther. So you are 5-6" wider and the spacers effectively moved the pivot point. With your old tires barely rubbing, the new ones will rub 5-6" sooner in the arc as the steering turns

#24 ·
Save up for wheel bearings too.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Is the OP retarded for still thinking the 99-04 leaf spring trucks use the same axle widths with the same offsets as the 05+ coils.

#27 ·
No I think he's just Retarded. Something's wrong with that guy.......

#28 ·
I guess I am having trouble figuring out what is going on here.

So you have 37" tires and an 8" lift kit or a 10" lift kit? Even though those pictures you posted look like it is more like a 6" lift?

Then your friend gave you a set of 14" wide wheels and then you added the 2" spacers. I am guessing the tires are 12.5" wide?

I am also assuming that you have not had a chance to go drive the setup at all due to the rubbage. It is too bad you have not had a chance to feel how it drives. That wheel and tire package has a very interesting effect on ride and drive ability.

Now essentially you need to be "skating" to be able to run this setup. So your truck needs to be above the tires as someone else mentioned. I would think a true 10" kit would be close to adequate for that setup.

Are you sure you are at 8" or 10" right now? It looks low.

The cheapest way to deal with your issue right now besides getting rid of the wheels/spacers is to go buy yourself some cutout fender flares. Then maybe you can throw some 38's on there and some 15.5" wide tires that fit the wheels. Then you will have some pretty mean stance. But reality is after you change out the second set of wheel bearings and ball joints you will probably take the spacers off.

When you start adding additional lift to coil spring trucks it can really affect how it drives and steers. In my opinion if you really am not sure what is on the truck. You are better off buying the full lift kit that way at least you are starting off with something that can go down the road in a straight line.

#29 ·
no right now I'm am about 6 inches, I bought the truck stock with just the lift on it. ****ty lift, but I have a few blocks in the rear at about 6 inches and I'm thinking 4.5in lift with 2 inch coil spacer because I already have a spacer on right now. so if it is 6 inches I was going to buy a brand new 8inch kit and add the spacers to get to 10inches

#30 ·
Seems like English class wasn't this ones strong suite. I pray that I never encounter his truck on the roadway.

I don't understand why OP just can't put the original wheels/tires on that worked 100%! What's the matter? Not enough likes on Instagram by people you don't even know? Grow up and stop endangering others.

#31 ·
I would just take it all off and go with a kit. I would probably lean towards a fabtech or something that is actually at 10". Then it will at least drive ok for you. Easy to get parts and you know exactly what is on the truck.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.