Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

O-rings for heater hose QD's

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sock Puppet 
#1 ·
Found my heater hoses dripping where they plug onto barbs at QD. Pulled off hoses from QD's. One had 1 O-ring and the
leaking one had 1 cut O-ring. Pulled out the cut one---- not even close to being the correct O-ring. It was all wadded up from being too big of a circumference. Went to stealership---- asked for O-Ring..... said not in stock - had to order.
3 days later- little ford bag--- no O-rings but little nylon spacers. (they go between the 2 O-rings inside the QD )
Took them back and asked for the O-rings. They said you have to buy a whole new hose- they don't sell the O-rings.
Monkey says that they must not ever go bad or else they would sell them. Then I asked him then why do they sell a hard nylon spacer but not a soft, easily cut silicone O-ring ? No reply---- Oh- the plastic rings they sold me were for an
E-150,250,350 NOT and F-350. The ones they gave me were 5/8 ID instead of 3/4 ID. I still don't have a good part # for the plastic spacers. Fortunately both my spacers are not broken- so I can re-use them I think.

But back to the O-rings..... they appear to need to be approximately 3/4 ID, about .910 inch OD and about .080-.090 wall.
The one I pulled out appeared to be grey , low durometer silicone- but it was also clearly not the right size too......

Can anyone confirm that ford DOES NOT sell the O-rings? (I was trained -working or airplanes- that O-rings are changed
out EVERY time you take something apart- even if nothing was bad-)

Also does ANYONE know the correct dimentions for what the O-ring needs to be ? Pretty important for it to seal properly !

Search function yielded nothing-----
some people say to hook the hose with hose clamps to ends of heater core- except it has no barbs on the ends. Nothing to
prevent hose from blowing off. have only found aftermarket QD's in 5/8------- not 3/4

Been down for a week over some stupid O-rings....... Will work for O-rings--- please help------ God bless------ :)

Tim

See less See more
#2 ·
QD ??

I have several boxes of assorted o-rings, have you thought about just buying a box of them?

#3 ·
Reactions: fordsvtparts
#5 ·
wanted the O-rings inside part# 18B472
They gave me the hard plastic spacer # 390420s------- which is not even the correct part to go inside 18B472
The part 390420s has a 5/8 ID ---- the correct part has to have a 3/4 ID.
Why do they try (?) to sell the hard spacer but NOT the fragile O-rings ?
Apparently they don't even sell the QD ---- official ford parts site shows the price of that (18B472) as 0.00 $

Got some O-rings from ace hardware--- 3/4 ID and 3/32 thick-- about to try them to see if the QD will go back
on with a reasonably correct amount of compression between the O-rings and the pipe------

The parts guy was adamant that the little plastic ring was correct ..... (@*$$#*&%@##@@@@****)
They just don't care -- is the bottom line----- I think they are so used to being called A@@holes-- they just don't care
anymore---- just like government beaurocrats-----
Tim

#7 ·
The parts guy was adamant that the little plastic ring was correct ..... (@*$$#*&%@##@@@@****)
They just don't care -- is the bottom line----- I think they are so used to being called A@@holes-- they just don't care
anymore---- just like government beaurocrats-----
Tim
Or maybe the guy simply doesn't know and the computer only gives him half azz information? It's not possible for the parts counter guy to know every little nuance of every little part on every vehicle ever made by FOMOCO. To some degree he's at the mercy of the system. I don't think it's necessarily fair to call the guy a monkey and a azzhole just because he doesn't have the information on an oddball oring.

#6 ·
I was at Ford yesterday looking at the parts diagram for an '07 E-350. The heater hose assembly is 18472A (supply) and 18472B (return). The quick connect fitting can be purchased separately! It's P/N 18B402 and the description is 3/4" (according to parts guy).

The quick connect fitting by itself was $28 bucks. I was considering getting it as way to plumb in a coolant filter since there's not much room to cut into the heater hoses.

I agree about o-rings - you shouldn't need to buy the whole thing when you only need the o-ring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.