Just got an 06, Whats up with these MPGs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just got an 06, Whats up with these MPGs?

Thanks for the great site, have found tons of great info here!

I just bought an 06 F250 XLT CC SB 2WD 99k miles, with a cap on the bed (does that make a fuel economy difference?), and first two tanks I got 14.1 and 14.4 MPG, this last tank I got 11.1 ! (it's been really windy lately) This is just driving the truck, not towing anything except my cheapy 5x8 utility trailer with my sportbike on it for maybe 1/3 of the time for each tank.

I drive 80% highway, and cruise anywhere from 75-82ish, I just set the cruise. I just upgraded from my 01 Expedition with 5.4L. It's current average fuel economy reading for same driving style and area is 13.9 (with 180k miles on it!). One of the big reasons I bought diesel was for better fuel economy than my Expedition, but wow, 1/2 MPG more? My friend just bought an 06 Dodge 3500 diesel CC 2WD 6 speed and he gets 18 City, 23 Highway and about 13 towing a toy hauler through same area. You got to be kidding me

Is it likely there is something wrong with the truck? I still have like 800 miles on the factory warranty, for whatever that's worth. Or perhaps it's just my driving style causing bad fuel economy? The one thing I may get done asap is the diesel induction cleaning, sounds promising from what I've read here. I have no idea how this truck was driven before me, if it was babied is it likely there is tons of carbon buildup causing bad MPG?

The other thing I've noticed since I got it, it has about no off the line performance at all. I punch it at a light and the truck is slow to take off until the turbo spools up. In my expedition the truck will GO when you punch it, is this just the way the F250 is? Please note I'm not punching it all the time, haha.. that would of course cause bad fuel mileage, it's just something I've noticed.

Last edited by BossTurbo; 10-06-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well for the mpg when I first go my 06 6.0 it started with 10-9 city and 15 hwy.

Now I get ~22 hw and 18 city

Last edited by smokersteve; 10-06-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM

I bought my 06 6.0 4x4 new and have had those same mileage numbers since day one and I baby my truck. If you want better mileage, get a tuner and keep your foot out of it. The reason you don't have any pickup at a light IS because your turbo hasn't spooled yet. It'll happen every time from an idle.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm sure I can get better mileage if I drive slower. I also do drive around many hills (bad mpg up, but great going down, haha). I just thought I would get better mileage than 14.5. I am definitely interested in tuners. SCT or Edge. I also have an after market warranty on the truck, so with say the SCT, how would they know the truck has been "chipped" if there is a problem later on?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Have ford look at it. Is your cat, egr valve, air filter good?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
Have ford look at it. Is your cat, egr valve, air filter good?
Hey you edited your reply, haha.... you had said give it a BG cleaning.

Is that the induction cleaning service? I 'm certain it needs a good cleaning. Air filter is good, no idea about the others.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:56 AM

ya BG cleaning. there is a 1,000,000 page thread on it.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossTurbo View Post
Thanks for the great site, have found tons of great info here!

I just bought an 06 F250 XLT CC SB 2WD 99k miles, with a cap on the bed (does that make a fuel economy difference?), and first two tanks I got 14.1 and 14.4 MPG, this last tank I got 11.1 ! (it's been really windy lately) This is just driving the truck, not towing anything except my cheapy 5x8 utility trailer with my sportbike on it for maybe 1/3 of the time for each tank.

I drive 80% highway, and cruise anywhere from 75-82ish, I just set the cruise. I just upgraded from my 01 Expedition with 5.4L. It's current average fuel economy reading for same driving style and area is 13.9 (with 180k miles on it!). One of the big reasons I bought diesel was for better fuel economy than my Expedition, but wow, 1/2 MPG more? My friend just bought an 06 Dodge 3500 diesel CC 2WD 6 speed and he gets 18 City, 23 Highway and about 13 towing a toy hauler through same area. You got to be kidding me

Is it likely there is something wrong with the truck? I still have like 800 miles on the factory warranty, for whatever that's worth. Or perhaps it's just my driving style causing bad fuel economy? The one thing I may get done asap is the diesel induction cleaning, sounds promising from what I've read here. I have no idea how this truck was driven before me, if it was babied is it likely there is tons of carbon buildup causing bad MPG?

The other thing I've noticed since I got it, it has about no off the line performance at all. I punch it at a light and the truck is slow to take off until the turbo spools up. In my expedition the truck will GO when you punch it, is this just the way the F250 is? Please note I'm not punching it all the time, haha.. that would of course cause bad fuel mileage, it's just something I've noticed.
A cummis will always get better mileage, they have two less cylinders

I would change your fuel filters, air filter and balance/rotate your tires and make sure that are all at the correct psi
Old 10-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossTurbo View Post
Hey you edited your reply, haha.... you had said give it a BG cleaning.

Is that the induction cleaning service? I 'm certain it needs a good cleaning. Air filter is good, no idea about the others.
ya I wasnt sure if it was called BG. What do you know about the truck you bought?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
ya I wasnt sure if it was called BG. What do you know about the truck you bought?
Yeah, I've read many, many of those pages about the induction cleaning.

Honestly, not a whole lot, purchased used from a dealer. Clean body, well kept interior... seems to have been babied a bit... certainly driven alot. No holes in bed (no 5th wheel or gooseneck hitches). No leaks. Clean oasis/carfax. Very shortly I plan on having the dealer or a shop change/clean/whatever all the regular items, like fuel filter, so I know when they've been done. Tires are new and inflated properly, although they are slightly too tall for the truck (285/70 I believe). Steering box was too tight, we already fixed that in the driveway.

What's a good "I just bought the truck and should service these items" list?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.