No heat??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No heat???

I dont have any heat coming out of the vents but both heater hoses are hot when truck is at operating temperature. I thought that if you had a vaccum leak the vents would switch to defrost if 4 wheel drive was switched on, mine doesnt do that thanks for any help Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 PM

when my egr cooler went out and when my headgaskets went my heat wouldnt come out very well. not sure if that helps. is there any air at all blowing out? if there is and its cold i would say either the two suggestions above or maybe your heater core need replaced.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Do you have a switch in the supply heater hose? I believe some do and some don't.

nevermind ....

I re-read your post and noticed you said the supply and return were both hot.

Last edited by bismic; 10-04-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 PM

the truck its self isnt using any coolant, so i figure my head gaskets are still good, (i have head studs), as far as the egr cooler i was told that the truck would smoke white when its going out???, the truck doesnt smoke any white. I was wondering if it could be something in the electric display because about 2-3 months ago i got in it and it didnt have anything on the heater control. But then it started working again.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:35 PM

so your coolant hoses going to your heater core are warm? not sure if these are the hoses you are talking about? is there any air blowong when the heater is turned on?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

you have electronic climate control right? you can pull codes and run a self test. Here is the directions to retrieve dtc's: The EATC module will retrieve only continuous (intermittent) DTCs when carrying out this procedure.

Retrieval of continuous DTCs can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when retrieving continuous DTCs.
To retrieve continuous DTCs press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. All vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no continuous DTCs present. Continuous DTCs are indicated by the presence of the degrees Celsius symbol (C) on the EATC module display. Record all DTCs displayed.
If any DTCs appear, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
To exit and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and retain all continuous DTCs.
To exit and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the procedure before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the procedure is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

And here is the directions for the self test: Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

The EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4-32C (40-90F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-vehicle temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within 2 seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler temperature) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent DTCs and then turn OFF (display blank).
To exit self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.

If you get codes and you pm me I can look them up and give you a general direction.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM

yes i still have air blowing out but it is cold air
Old 10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check your coolant level 6.0's wont blow hot air if its low. I know it sounds like bonehead advice but mine did the exact same thing (made me feel like a moron, but thats what this place is for right? LOL)
Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a problem with mine that was similar. Does your vacuum pump turn on and stay on when you turn the key to accessory position? If so, you have a vacuum leak. Try pulling the vacuum lines from the 4x4 valve near the vacuum pump and plug them. Your vacuum canister should hold vacuum overnight and provide plenty of suction to operate the climate control valves and vents. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCox32 View Post
the truck its self isnt using any coolant, so i figure my head gaskets are still good, (i have head studs), as far as the egr cooler i was told that the truck would smoke white when its going out???, the truck doesnt smoke any white. I was wondering if it could be something in the electric display because about 2-3 months ago i got in it and it didnt have anything on the heater control. But then it started working again.
i have had that happen. Driving along and notice the ac system isnt working and the control panel isnt even lit. I fiddled it and nothing so resigned myself to going to the dealer but the next time i drove the truck it worked fine and has been ever since. Wouyld love to know what causes this. Seems to me like a bad electrical connection in the dash? Is yours a Lariet with the fancy heat ac controls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.