Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Probably doing headgaskets & studs, get a kit or no?

910 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cthurston09 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2003 KR CCSB with 210k, when I checked the deltas I saw about 25 degree difference at 75mph so I made a hero gauge to test the coolant pressure. After driving about 15-20 minutes the gauge will slowly rise to 16psi. On cold start the truck blows a huge mushroom cloud of white smoke so it's safe to say at least the EGR cooler is bad. It's in the shop now for a EGR delete & oil cooler but I'm considering having headgaskets & studs done while its there. As much as I hate paying for head gaskets just in case I don't believe there is a way to isolate just the headgaskets with a bad EGR cooler correct? Short of doing the delete, paying for labor & retesting I'm at a point where I think I should seriously consider just getting it over with now. The truck is completely stock, meticulously maintained with records since day one & has never had the cooler or headgaskets replaced.
I've looked at the XDP powerstroke soulotion kit & while it looks good with my truck being a 2003 it doesn't include any of the updated dummy plugs, standpipes, etc. Is there a better kit with all the updates or should I go through ordering everything piece by piece? I've gone through the stickys & read a few of the threads regarding headgaskets but they are either old or too scattered for me to trust pulling part numbers. Plus I spent a couple of years working at a Ford dealership so I know how numbers can be superceeded leaving me with even less faith that I'll get everything they need to do the job the way I want. Is there a better kit with the updates or a vendor here with the experience to get it all right the first time when I place my order? I'm up for suggestions either way!

See less See more
#2 ·
@fordsvtparts can help you out. They're who I ordered all my parts from and had the best prices. I did a lot of searching and comparing prices from numerous sites and comparing them to the all-in-one kits. Still much cheaper going through them.

#3 ·
Thank you, I'll have to check them out. Does @fordsvtparts have a website or did you call them? I did a quick Google search & came up empty?

#4 ·
Reactions: fordsvtparts
#5 ·
Ford HG kit will come with TTY bolts, and you wind up throwing them away. I got ARP studs and FelPro gaskets. Studs were around 400. FelPro's were 100. for the pair. Either delete or get the BulletProof Diesel EGR. I went with a factory Ford cooler, another 320.
I second AutoNation White Bear for factory Ford parts. I don't know of a complete list anywhere. If someone doesn't come up with one, I could review my notes and service invoice for most of the numbers.

#6 ·
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1106826-head-gaskets-studs-cab.html
Here's the link to my thread and the parts I bought, my gaskets did not come with TTY bolts. If they do give them to you and you're a waterfowl hunter they make great decoy weights! Haha. The plastic rocker arm clips were actually cheaper through ANFWBL than ktperformance. Just call them and give them your vehicle info and the parts you need and they'll set it up. Or look online. You also don't need to worry about the stc fitting since you have an 03

Reactions: fordsvtparts
#9 ·
Mike has gotten back to me & will be working on my quote, here's my parts list, let me know what you think....
Egt gauge
Cat elc coolant
Stand pipes
Lifters?
Rocker clips?
Injector o-rings
Blue spring kit
EGR delete
Oil cooler
Studs
Ipr valve screen
Intake gaskets
Turbo gaskets
Glow plugs & harness?
Upgraded oil feed & turbo drain tube
Thermostat
Exhaust gaskets
6.4 pushrods
Rocker carrier gaskets

#10 ·
You don't need lifters unless your are shot. The engine will have to be removed to replace them. The shop is doing the work correct? If you're doing it, make sure you look at them once the heads are off and make sure the brass "C" clip is still there. I'll see if I can find a pic. If the shop is doing the work they should know what to look for and inspect once it's open. For the clips, since I did mine myself I waited until I took it all apart to order those and only ordered the amount I needed. 3 of mine were broken. It's just a little plastic piece the holds the rocker arm to the fulcrum and holds the pivot ball in place. Glow plugs, I only ordered two because I had codes for two and I knew they were bad. If you don't have any bad ones and are wanting to save a little $ I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, once they are removed they can be tested easily. Get a jumper box or set of jumper cables and hook them to a battery. Clip the negative onto the threads of the glow plug and touch the positive to the tip where your harness plugs in. If they light up bright and hot they're good. I did this to make sure I only had two bad ones. Glow plug harnesses, yes you'll need them. There's a 98% chance they'll break when removed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.