Update: Ford no longer does stud install... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update: Ford no longer does stud install...

I've called numerous dealers with recommendation from people on here that they do head studs.... Spoke with the proper people that were recommended to me to talk to. and ALL have told me they recently no longer do head stud installation as ford will now not allow it. I then proceeded to call every Dealer in San Diego to Los Angeles and they all said no. Lists includes: Kearny Mesa, Mossy, Drew, Fuller, El Cajon, Perry, Encinitas, Homor Heller, Ken Grody, North County, Santa Margarita, Tuttle Click, Sunrise in Fontana, Fritts, and Raceway... THEY ALL SAID NO!

Here is the reason why: Ford has a procedure for the head gaskets which don't involve pulling the cab off or removing the engine. Both save time and money. In order to do head studs I was told the labor is more extensive. Ford dealers are now no longer doing it because when a truck comes to the shop wanting head gaskets replaced and they already have head studs, ford will not pay for the extra labor and cost to have them done again. Ford has RECENTLY made a strict policy saying they won't warranty work with head studs.

What I was told the only way I could have head studs installed would be if I personally knew a tech who would not comply with ford's rules and would be willing to do the labor either for a friend or with a paid compensation. With that being they could lose their job on their own accord. From the techs I spoke to, they all sounded unwilling to lose their job with compensation $$.

I received PM's regarding certain dealers from members in this forum and spoke with the people who they knew, and they told me sorry they no longer do them.

So if anyone in Southern California who now wants head studs to be installed through warranty, I hope you have a buddy diesel tech who will do it for you. For those who have told me otherwise and state on here they Ford does warranty head stud installation, give them a call and ask. I'm guessing california dealers and techs are more unwilling to go against fords policies. Sounds to me the small town dealers are more opt to performing this procedure to its customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well drive cross country to NC and buddy of mine who's a diesel tech at the dealership here in town will do them for you. He put mine in for $500, plus materials. You'd pay a little more, but not much...
Old 10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdwg View Post
Well drive cross country to NC and buddy of mine who's a diesel tech at the dealership here in town will do them for you. He put mine in for $500, plus materials. You'd pay a little more, but not much...
how much would he charge if i didnt need it done? just to install studs if you know what i mean. the dealership wouldnt put them in for me either.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well, that was my situation. I didn't need it done, just wanted to do some preventative maintenance. It was a side job he did for me on one of the weekends he was off at the dealership. On the days he's off he's allowed to use his bay to do stuff like that. As for price I'm not sure, I think he charges 35 or 40 bucks an hour, I'd have to ask...
Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 PM

No Ford dealer was ever allowed to put in studs. It has always been done on the down low, but I'm sure if they are cracking down that the people posting that they got their dealer to put them in might have something to do with it? It is bs about having to pull the engine or cab to do studs, they can be installed without either.

Last edited by Vizsla; 10-01-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizsla View Post
No Ford dealer was ever allowed to put in studs. It has always been done on the down low, but I'm sure if they are cracking down that the people posting that they got their dealer to put them in might have something to do with it?
This is correct.

Dealers were never allowed to do studs under warranty. If caught the tech always risked loosing their job and the dealers risked a very heavy fine. Some dealers take the chance. Some dont
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM

The one around here that did them hasnt for a few months now thanks to managment crackin down on them and i was just gettin ready to have mine put in
Old 10-01-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdwg View Post
Well, that was my situation. I didn't need it done, just wanted to do some preventative maintenance. It was a side job he did for me on one of the weekends he was off at the dealership. On the days he's off he's allowed to use his bay to do stuff like that. As for price I'm not sure, I think he charges 35 or 40 bucks an hour, I'd have to ask...
yea ask him and let me know, i could take a vacation down there for a few says, i live in ohio so it would be worth the drive. you can just pm me if you want. thanks man
Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metstroke06 View Post
I've called numerous dealers with recommendation from people on here that they do head studs.... Spoke with the proper people that were recommended to me to talk to. and ALL have told me they recently no longer do head stud installation as ford will now not allow it. I then proceeded to call every Dealer in San Diego to Los Angeles and they all said no. Lists includes: Kearny Mesa, Mossy, Drew, Fuller, El Cajon, Perry, Encinitas, Homor Heller, Ken Grody, North County, Santa Margarita, Tuttle Click, Sunrise in Fontana, Fritts, and Raceway... THEY ALL SAID NO!

Here is the reason why: Ford has a procedure for the head gaskets which don't involve pulling the cab off or removing the engine. Both save time and money. In order to do head studs I was told the labor is more extensive. Ford dealers are now no longer doing it because when a truck comes to the shop wanting head gaskets replaced and they already have head studs, ford will not pay for the extra labor and cost to have them done again. Ford has RECENTLY made a strict policy saying they won't warranty work with head studs.

What I was told the only way I could have head studs installed would be if I personally knew a tech who would not comply with ford's rules and would be willing to do the labor either for a friend or with a paid compensation. With that being they could lose their job on their own accord. From the techs I spoke to, they all sounded unwilling to lose their job with compensation $$.

I received PM's regarding certain dealers from members in this forum and spoke with the people who they knew, and they told me sorry they no longer do them.

So if anyone in Southern California who now wants head studs to be installed through warranty, I hope you have a buddy diesel tech who will do it for you. For those who have told me otherwise and state on here they Ford does warranty head stud installation, give them a call and ask. I'm guessing california dealers and techs are more unwilling to go against fords policies. Sounds to me the small town dealers are more opt to performing this procedure to its customers.
Not to sound like a jerk, but did you really expect a tech to admit to someone he didn't know over the phone that he was willing to break his employers rules? You would have better luck if you took the person who referred them to you with you when you went to the dealership and asked in person.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 PM

It still comes down to who you know. I got mine done "under warranty" because I know the tech. Ford see's that I had a typical 6.0 head gasket fix, the tech gets paid for the job plus some side money and everyone is happy. Cost me 150 bucks for everything (not including the studs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.