Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sct x4 readings different?

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  PbjPerformance 
#1 ·
I have a sct x4 device that I use to monitor my truck. The truck is fairly new to me. Only have had it a month. I took it on a trip up north and was watching the oil and coolant temps while driving. About an hour and a half in with the cruise set at 75 I noticed that my ECT's were right around 185 and my EOT was around 205 plus and minus a few degrees while driving. I figured its time for an oil cooler since the truck just got to 100,000 miles. Dropped it off at a diesel performance shop and told them what my problem was.

He called me a day later and said that he could not get the EOT more than 10 degree's hotter than the ECT. He said he see's no issues with it. He was using his snap on solus ultra scan tool to read it. Also he said he got the same results using a "IDS" ?

My question is has anyone used a sct x4 to monitor and noticed that they were getting different readings on the device?

I am trying to figure out if I should invest into a new type of monitoring system or not.

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
One: you need a thermostat. Ect should be 190 minimum once up to operating temp. Two: the 15 degree rule only applies when going 65mph (1900 rpm) unloaded flat road. Try it that way first. If outside of 15 degrees then try to back flush the oil cooler. You should do this even if you're replacing it. Back flush the crap out of it then do some drain and fill distilled water flushes and see what your temps are. After that if you need a new oil cooler, you'll have a freshly flushed cooling system anyways

#4 ·
As was stated, the only issue I see is you need a thermostat. Other than that sounds like your fine.

#5 ·
Throwing this out there for thought. Do you really think the shop took it for a test drive? If so, they probably should have charged you about one shop hour for labor. I am beginning to suspect most shops do labor before doing a test drive for most problems. I'm thinking if he did do the test drive, he should have noticed the thermostat.

The IDS is the ford diagnostic tool, so that's probably the best you can get.

If you get another monitor, then something for your cell phone like the torque pro is the cheapest route.

#6 ·
Thank you guys for the quick replies. I forgot to add that in. I instructed him to do the thermostat as well. Also had a fuel leak that he fixed too. He did not take it on a drive at first. Just let it warm up and run to see if there was a difference. I told him I only noticed the issue while driving down the freeway and gave him permission to run it down the road. He said he still did not see as great of a delta as I was explaining to him.

I am going to look at getting another cheap monitor but if i remember correctly last time I tried to get the torque app I could not get it for my iphone. I will do some more investigating on the app.

Thank you guys again for the input.

#7 ·
Torque pro is only for android. The delta also only applies once you get it up to operating temp. So if the shop didn't run it long enough for it to get up to temp, then for it for a while at 65mph unloaded flat road then of course they didn't see anything. In order to "test" your oil cooler, the test needs to be done correctly

#8 ·
I bought a cheap Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet and installed the Torque Pro on there....Screen is big and easy to read.....I did notice that the SCT x4 readings were different than my torque pro....I am wondering if I need a thermostat.....My ECT would be around 187-192 and hop around those numbers....although my coolant is alittle below the MIN line....I am waiting to do a whole shooting match with a coolant flush and oil change etc...The "Works"....want to pick up some Archoil also...

Good to know on the test at 65mph flat road....Up here in New England flat roads are hard to find for a duration of 20 min plus...Good Heads Up tho!

#9 ·
I went for a ride yesterday and my edge CTS was giving me bad readings. The EOT and ECT were between 130 and 145 when it was over 110 with outside temp and the truck had thirty minutes on the highway at 70 mph. After I stopped and got back in, it gave more normal readings.

200 ECT is supposed to be operating temp. I notice I get the best MPG at 200 ECT. I think the factory OEM thermostat is 192 degrees. It starts to open at 192 and gets full open at 219. I find that outside temp can have an effect on the ECT. I'm not sure what your outside temps are, but if you're way up north where its in the 70's then maybe what you see is fine. In AZ, at outside temp of 110, then I would really suspect the thermostat is bad. It's not very hard to swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.