Ford won't install ARP head studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford won't install ARP head studs

I got a call from the dealer after they replaced my oil cooler and egr cooler than I have blown head gaskets. So I went down to talk to the tech about installing ARP head studs and he said he can't as it would violate ford regulations. I was in shock after reading about everyone getting head studs installed through warranty. I then asked the service manager if he could help me and he said head studs would void my warranty and it also requires to lift the cab or pull the engine. I thought to myself obviously ford does these as cheap as possible. Although the warranty work is nice to have because I've saved a lot of money, I'm concerned that once my warranty is up I'll blow my heads off again. The tech said "You'll be fine as long as you don't chip it." I was like "ok wonderful!". haha. FML. I currently have 70k with a 100k warranty, does anyone have any advice once I get my truck back with a new oil cooler, egr cooler, and head gaskets what I should do? Can I just purchase another 100k warranty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That makes no sense, the heads have to be pulled either way to put gaskets on. im suprised they wont do it. I'd talk to another dealer.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
where r u located?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM

It doesn't matter cause even if Ford put your studs in they are not gonna machine your heads, their specs for flatness suck etc.. Pay now to get them done right or pay later.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

I'm located in El Cajon CA. That in San Diego. I took it to El Cajon Ford figuring there are a ton of trucks in East County San Diego and I would have assumed they would have accepted ARP head studs to be installed. Guess I was wrong.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Also, since I purchased a warranty I really don't mind everything to be done for free. What I'm saying is I guess I'd rather pay later and ride it out as long as possible. Maybe within the next 30k take it to another dealer if it happens again. I had some people on this site recommend me to some dealers a couple hours away, I should have gone there. This dealer sounded so naive, like oh head gaskets aren't really too common. "If you don't rune a programmer I won't have a problem"... Fact is anyone who can afford these $50k trucks, goes and buys a tuner for it.

Last edited by metstroke06; 10-01-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 PM

I know it would be a pain in the butt to move your truck to another dealership especially if its undriveable but you should call around to other dealerships it would be worth it. The dealership I deal with keeps ARP studs in parts for one of the techs who does a bunch of side line.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

How would it sound if I called the dealership and said "umm I want to take it to another dealer"....
Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM

It would sound like it's your truck and you have the right to have the work done to your satisfaction by a service department that you trust and will do the work that really needs to be done.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread make sure that the heads are sent to a machine shop to be decked. I can't tell you how many times I have heard of people not doing this and 5K later they have blown HG's again. If the surface of the head and block are not flat it won't matter what bolt or stud you put in there, it won't seal. Also mentioned earlier is the Ford spec. for flatness which is a joke.

It's your truck, do what you want but if you want my advise at least talk to a couple of other dealers and see what they are willing to do for you.

P.S. To do HG's and studs not under warranty will run you about $2500 plus machining.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

To the OP:

It's very common in my area to have a dealership refuse to do headstuds... I've called 5 differen't dealerships and every single one of them said no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.