Tips for replacing power steering pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 11:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tips for replacing power steering pump

Having nothing but great luck with the new truck. (05 F250, 6.0)

Driving to work this morning, go to make a lane change and my steering is HEAVY. The pump (I'm assuming!) died instantly! No hydroboost brakes either. No noise, nothing. It's like there's no belt running to the power steering pump but I double checked it's still there and spinning.

I'm assuming the pump died. Fortunately pumps are cheap but I can't find a ton of info on replacing them. It looks fairly straight forward but I've never dealt with hydro boost brakes so I'm thinking the bleeding procedure may be more complicated.

Does anyone who has replaced the pump have any tips or advice? Can't decide whether to go with a $70 Napa rebuilt pump or a $100 low mileage OEM pump.

Appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just had a bout with rebuilt Motorcraft pumps,three in a row all too weak.ford finally found a NEW pump in rebuilt box,all is well. A bulletin states you can transfer the pulley thre times,that's correct on fourth pump had to buy new pully as well.There may be new elsewhere,I'd stay away from rebuilt if possible.2.0 HR. job at least with all tools
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 AM

That means it will probably take me at least 4 hours. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what tools are needed and can anyone give me some directions on swapping this pump any help would be appreciated
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does anyone make an up grade pump to get rid of hard steering when not moving. Makes it a pain when backing a trailer. 176k miles on an 04 F350 4x4, do others have this issue.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitsno View Post
Does anyone make an up grade pump to get rid of hard steering when not moving. Makes it a pain when backing a trailer. 176k miles on an 04 F350 4x4, do others have this issue.
I have 170,000 on my 06 and have the same issue. Until this thread thought I was looking at a PS pump, guess I'll hold off.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch89 View Post
what tools are needed and can anyone give me some directions on swapping this pump any help would be appreciated
When I did mine, I was able to reach from underneath the truck. Removing hte lower radiator hose made ti easier to get to. There are only two hoses that attach to the pump. I just disconnected those, then removed the 4 bolts that hold it in place.

The only special too I needed was a powersteering pump pulley remover, made by snap-on. I borrowed it. I tmade the pulley removal and reinstall super easy since the new pump won't come with a pulley.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same thing happened to me but my gearbox cracked and spewed power steering fluid everywhere. $550 just for the new gear box. Wish mine was just the pump.have fun
Old 10-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1213 View Post
Same thing happened to me but my gearbox cracked and spewed power steering fluid everywhere. $550 just for the new gear box. Wish mine was just the pump.have fun
Just an FYI if a person can handle the down time with their truck like me I sent mine out to Lares and when it got back it was awesome!!. They cleaned rebuilt and painted it and was really nice and it only cost a $180 round bought and that included shipping back to me. I know this was for powersteering but saw the gear and thought I would just give another option cause the motorcraft out here was over $900. This way I kept my motorcraft part just guts rebuilt and painted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.