What is SCP and CAN - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What is SCP and CAN

I was just trying to look up what CAN means on the ford computers. I bought an edge insight and its messing up. It says my truck does not support CAN. So I started researching other devices and see that many support SCP and CAN. Anyone know what they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Electrical Ogre

CAN is Control Area Network
Which I think is things like PATS anti-theft, EATC climate control, etc...
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCP = Standard Corporate Protocol

Description

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

1. Field of the Invention

This invention relates generally to a protocol selection matrix adapter for a vehicle and, more particularly, to a protocol selection matrix adapter for a vehicle that interfaces a host computer to multiple in-vehicle networks in a vehicle.

2. Discussion of the Related Art

Vehicles employ various networks and systems for diagnostics, analysis and monitoring of certain vehicle systems. These networks can be integrated with a host computer outside of the vehicle for data acquisition, computer-based measurements, automation systems, etc. with vehicle communications and systems.

These various vehicle systems and networks operate under different protocols. Thus, the various vehicle systems and networks may not be compatible with the host computer. Manufacturers of various systems have addressed this capability problem by using an interface box to talk to multiple data links that are customized to a specific product. However, these types of in-vehicle networks have been expanded to included boats, motorcycles, agricultural equipment, construction equipment, military combat systems, etc. Thus, the existing box used to talk to the multiple data links do not provide a very satisfactory solution to this in-vehicle extension. Further, the trend for vehicles is to have multiple networks on the vehicle.

A protocol selection matrix adapter is needed that automatically interfaces multiple in-vehicle networks to a host computer simultaneously for several protocols, and provides a flexible method to reprogram nodes on the in-vehicle networks.

CAN = Controller Area Network

CAN bus
(Controller Area Network bus) A rugged, digital serial bus designed for industrial environments. Introduced by Bosch in the mid-1980s for in-vehicle communications, it is used in myriad applications including factory automation, building automation, aircraft and aerospace as well as in cars, trucks and buses. CAN bus replaced bulky wiring harnesses with a two-wire differential cable (the two wires carry inverted voltages to decrease interference).

CAN provides services at layers 1 and 2 of the OSI model and uses a broadcast method for placing frames on the wire somewhat similar to Ethernet. Bus distance is based on speed, ranging from a maximum of 40 meters at 1 Mbps to a maximum of six kilometers at 10 Kbps. At speeds up to 125 Kbps, CAN provides fault tolerance. If one of the two wires is cut or shorted, the other keeps transmitting.

In a vehicle, both low- and high-speed CAN buses are used. For example, window, lighting and seat control only need low speeds, while engine, cruise control and antilock brakes require high speeds. Two or three CAN buses may be used in a vehicle; for example, a high-speed bus may be dedicated only for safety (air bags, seat belt tensioners, etc.).

The Bus Hampers After-Market Installations
The CAN bus has made it challenging to add certain after-market products to a vehicle. In older cars, there were discrete wires for everything, but CAN bus signals are digital frames that have to be analyzed to determine their purpose. For example, taxi meters and many GPS navigation systems need to monitor vehicle speed. If speed pulse is no longer available as a discrete wire, a CAN bus interface, such as the CANM8-NAV unit from Bridgewater Electronics (Welcome - Bridgwater Electronics Somerset | Car Alarms.), can convert speed pulse frames to a speed pulse signal.

CANopen and CiA
Introduced in 1995, CANopen is a high-level application layer protocol that provides services for processes, data and network management. The international organization that governs the CANopen protocol is CAN in Automation (CiA). For more information, visit CAN in Automation (CiA): Controller Area Network (CAN).
Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Insight Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuesse View Post
I bought an edge insight and its messing up. It says my truck does not support CAN.
I also installed an Edge Insight last weekend on my 2009 F-250 and got the same error message. I had loaded the Edge software on my PC and setup the screens for how I wanted them. There are selection sections for both standard parameters (in what I call the GENERAL area) and Ford specific paramters in a FORD section. I wonder if mixing these can be part of the issue?

After getting the error, I let the unit roll back to factory default settings and it seemed to work fine, or at least better. I have not had time to research it any more and appreciate what I'm learning here. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Thats a good theory on the edge but if thats the case then its not going to work. I left a message with where i got it. They have good customer support. Ill see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.