Possible buy into Powerstrokes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible buy into Powerstrokes

Ok, I currently own an '01 Ram 3500 w/ 5.9L Cummins. Set up for towing. Due to amputations I have to part ways w/ my truck due to it being a6 spd. I am considering an '05 F350 Crew cab DRW long bed Lariat.
I know Dodge has a problem w/ their automatics. What comparison is there between the brands? Are the Ford automatics good? How about power, turning radius etc. Please be honestfolks, this is a substantial reinvestment. I haul horses and hay. Thanks ahead of time. Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have not heard of any problems with the automatics that are bolted to the 6.0 and i think the 6.4 as well.
Some say its the best tranny that can be had in a truck of this size.
As for the power, its going to be different than your truck. Powerband just isnt the same but i have no doubt it will pull whatever you can put behind it.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune sir, that has to be tough news to get. Good luck to you
Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The 5r110 transmission is great! I have 220,000 miles on mine and I have been tuned for about 40,000 miles. Power is good, turning radius is good but I am not sure how it compares to your Dodge.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Emergency Services

I agree. The transmission in the 6.0l and 6.4l trucks (5R110) is just about bulletproof. The turning radius in the 2005 trucks are a lot better than the earlier trucks. I think that the later trucks are even tighter.

I had a 2003 6.0l with the same 5R110 transmission. I used to pull hay trailers with it quite often. I have a 35' gooseneck, and i loaded it with 20 5x5 round bales. GCW was 39500 lbs. I towed a many thousand loaded miles with that kind of load. The transmission was great. The engine was also great, when it worked. I had a love-hate relationship with that truck. The later (2005-2007)6.0l trucks had much better reliability as compared to the '03 and '04 trucks.

The 6.4l trucks (08-2010) are pretty sweet. They have a stronger version of the 5r110 transmission, and they make a little more power from the factory. Far more reliable than even the later 6.0l trucks.

If you are looking for an older truck, the 7.3l trucks are very reliable. As long as you keep clean oil in them they will run for ever. Their transmissions are not as good as the 5r110. They are alright, but just not as tough as the newer ones.

Welcome to the Org, BTW.. Sorry to hear about the circumstances of your new truck purchase.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I have only heard of a select few trucks that had problems with the 5r110. Those might have been running high HP tunes though. We have 6 6.0/5r110 combos in my family and no trans issues. The 05 and up trucks will have a slightly better turning radius due to the coil over front suspension vs the older leaf springs. Power is excellent on the 6.0s. Before you buy one get an oasis report on the truck. Its like a carfax but its just for fords. It will tell you if the engine has had lots of issues or not. Hope this helps bud. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oasis Report?

What is it, where do I find it, and how much does it cost? Thanks. Dan
Old 09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

if you are a premium member the mods can run them for free on here. Other wise just get the VIN and call a trusted ford dealer and have them give you a print out. It will show you any work that has been done to the truck at a ford dealership. Very easy to do, just get the vins from trucks you are interested. Don't let the dealer charge you.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

oasis is like a carfax. you can get one here if your a premium member for free i believe. i dont know where else you can get it. welcome to the org too.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Think oasis is down right now isnt it? I have a carfax at the moment if u want me to run the vin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.