Newbie, new (for me) truck, LOTS of questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Newbie, new (for me) truck, LOTS of questions.

Hello everyone. I am new here. I have been lurking here for a bit. I recently bought a 2003 Ford F-350 KR with the 6.0L in very clean condition. It is awesome, I love it. I got it for a good price with the mind that I want to do the engine mods. I am working overseas right now but I have been on this awesome site, amassing info for my project. I am going to do the engine work myself, in cab. Though I may jack it up a bit, I heard that is not too hard to do and makes it easier. Play it by ear.

My truck runs ok but I think the EGR is a bit dirty, it has 180 thousand KM on it. It does puke a bit if I really put my foot in it hard. I don't know the service history but the the turbo is a reman.

Anyways this is what I plan. Did I miss anything?

Head studs (arp)

Black Onyx head gaskets and exhaust gaskets too maybe (they worth it?)

BD Power EGR Delete I know FCD is supposed to be the best but I live close to BD power and I like the look of the new kit they sell.

Other gaskets I am getting a list together, I think I have most of them listed, is there a link to a good comprehensive list?

Clean VGT turbo using the International cleaning kit.

Change drain and supply lines on the turbo if they are not updated.

Machine the heads flat and leak test.

Edge Insight Monitor with EGT Probe

SCT X3 from Innovative Diesel with tunes

Bypass coolant filter kit from dieselsite

Oil cooler kit from ford

Clean HFCM and upgrade drain plug

Exhaust X-Hale SS from BD power

New water pump

Clean intercooler and replace boots with BD power kit

CCV system make my own

Also thinking of:
Bypass coolant lines from Elite diesel.
Replace glow plugs,

Anything I missed?

I especially need a full list of all gaskets with the updated d-rings, etc, if someone has one.

Is there some sort of compressor wheel replacement for the turbo that is a good idea?

Anyways, thanks to everyone in advance! This is one cool site.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egmonster View Post
Hello everyone. I am new here. I have been lurking here for a bit. I recently bought a 2003 Ford F-350 KR with the 6.0L in very clean condition. It is awesome, I love it. I got it for a good price with the mind that I want to do the engine mods. I am working overseas right now but I have been on this awesome site, amassing info for my project. I am going to do the engine work myself, in cab. Though I may jack it up a bit, I heard that is not too hard to do and makes it easier. Play it by ear.

My truck runs ok but I think the EGR is a bit dirty, it has 180 thousand KM on it. It does puke a bit if I really put my foot in it hard. I don't know the service history but the the turbo is a reman.

Anyways this is what I plan. Did I miss anything?

Head studs (arp)

Black Onyx head gaskets and exhaust gaskets too maybe (they worth it?)

BD Power EGR Delete I know FCD is supposed to be the best but I live close to BD power and I like the look of the new kit they sell.

Other gaskets I am getting a list together, I think I have most of them listed, is there a link to a good comprehensive list?

Clean VGT turbo using the International cleaning kit.

Change drain and supply lines on the turbo if they are not updated.

Machine the heads flat and leak test.

Edge Insight Monitor with EGT Probe

SCT X3 from Innovative Diesel with tunes

Bypass coolant filter kit from dieselsite

Oil cooler kit from ford

Clean HFCM and upgrade drain plug

Exhaust X-Hale SS from BD power

New water pump

Clean intercooler and replace boots with BD power kit

CCV system make my own

Also thinking of:
Bypass coolant lines from Elite diesel.
Replace glow plugs,

Anything I missed?

I especially need a full list of all gaskets with the updated d-rings, etc, if someone has one.

Is there some sort of compressor wheel replacement for the turbo that is a good idea?

Anyways, thanks to everyone in advance! This is one cool site.

looks good to me. Hey, if you like after you get er all tricked out i can drive er around for you to keep stuff lubricated untill u get back in town. No charge, would be happy to do this for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Now you see? That is what i am talkin about. Helpful people all over this site. Thanks man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egmonster View Post
Now you see? That is what i am talkin about. Helpful people all over this site. Thanks man!
yep, this is my favorite site on the net. All kidding aside there is no better site for questions and help.

When u get er built i would love to hear how she runs and see how she looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Absolutely! Looking forward to it. You are right. This place rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egmonster View Post
Now you see? That is what i am talkin about. Helpful people all over this site. Thanks man!
hey, one thing i dont see on your list ia an upgrade fuel delivery system. At least a booster pump and a return.
and there were some hpo leaks on the 03's due to the module and fittings that you might want to upgrade while she is apart. Don't reemember the details but there all posted here. There ought to be a thread with a list of 03 problems you could find
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Okie Dokie, I will keep researching. Gives me an excuse to keep looking around here anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 AM
back to business



 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Not AK right now
Posts: 3,561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks like a good start


I'd add fuel sys, gauges and really think about upgrading injectors (since you're going to be in there anyway.



Oh, and.................

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07OUTLAW View Post
Looks like a good start


I'd add fuel sys, gauges and really think about upgrading injectors (since you're going to be in there anyway.



Oh, and.................

Ah, your right with the other mods injectors may be a good idea...missed that one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for that. I think what i have planned is the end of my budget for now. I think i will have to save some more pennies till i can afford new injectors. Thanks for the input guys.

I know what you mean by "Oh and......" It kind of spirals out of control in a major hurry. I was making up a wish list on my computer but it ran out of memory. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors