Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2004 with 2005 motor?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Sfloyd33 
#1 ·
I was told by the previous owner of my truck that even though the speedo said 200+ not to worry about anything because the motor is out of a 2005 with 91000 +- miles on it and has been "bullet proofed" when it was taken out of the donor truck. The front end has been rebuilt, oil and fuel filters have been changed religiously along with all other maintenance items per Ford Specs. I gave around 10000 for a 2004 4x4 extended cab singe axle I thought man what a lucky day for me.

I have been reading through the forums about everyone getting skinned on these trucks now I am getting very nervous.

The question's that I have are how do I tell if it is indeed an 05 motor (the valve cover tag says 04), the EGR tubes have been deleted but the EGR valve is still plugged in is this normal? The heads have not been studed so this is not an actual bullet proof, right? I really don't know how to tell if the oil cooler has been changed out or not; however my Edge Insight CTS is due in anyday.

#2 ·
Check out the link in the top left corner of my sig.

#4 · (Edited)
If it supposedly a 2005 engine and the valve cover says 2004 I'd be asking the guy questions. The FICM has a serial number on it also but it won't matter if it has also been changed.

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/ps60_008.jpg

EDIT* Yes I was talking about that link, and yes the term is thrown around like it means nothing. I've seen a 6.0 with just the egr deleted being called "bulletproof". People are VERY uneducated about 6.0L Powerstrokes but are quick to hop on the "6.0s are crap" band wagon and act like they know what they are talking about.

#6 ·
First thing is they guy didnt have to tell you a thing, so I doubt he is lying because if he were to lie it would be easier to not talk to you at all. And i was going to reference the same exact link waggoner did. check that out, those numbers should help, and the serial number might be useful if you provide it to ford, they might be able to give you an oasis report on it...

#8 ·
Yep that is what i was thinking too I guess my paranoia was getting the best of me. This is my first diesel truck and almost everything that i read keeps telling me what a major mistake that i made in buying this truck. I guess that i am just trying to sooth my nerves.

#7 ·
Pull the heads and see if has 18mm or 20mm dowels. :look:

Or

Check the HPOP.

Reactions: waggonerj
#12 ·
it's possible it's out of an o5 but it had an o4 motor that's common

the original owner and the loose term bulletproof sucks for false hope

but what can you do now ? just enjoy it and fix as needed your a smart guy to order the monitor

run the trouble codes and see if anything is present

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.