Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

VIBRATION UNDER LOAD

15K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  joe blow 
#1 ·
need help diagnosing the vibration hear but mainly feel when accelerating up a hill around 50 mph or so...seems worse when in overdrive and seems to lag a bit before downshifting as the vibration worsens all the way to the downshift

#2 ·
Have you checked the condition of your carrier bearing?

#3 ·
^^^^ X2 on that. Otherwise it could be a injector issue but that should be at any speed.

#4 ·
Just had carrier bearing replaced. The truck only seems to vibrate like this when accelerating uphill while in overdrive until throttling up to downshift. I am not a mechanic butt my drive shaft seems to have a small amount of play up towards the transfer case. It's only a slight click or movement but I would imagine it would intensify at higher RPMs or vehicle speeds

#5 ·
How are your u-joints?

#6 ·
Sounds like U joints. Had similar symptoms on my 07 Cummins back in the day. I know it's not the same truck, but something to check out.

#7 ·
I would think that he would do the whole driveline when he changed the carrier bearing. These trucks are hard on drivelines for sure, 50,000 miles is about all you are going to get out of non greasable joints. I bought my current truck with 41,000 miles on it and the driveline was shaking. Was the first thing I did to the truck and painted the damn thing because Ford did not put any on it ??

So if you did not replace the joints do so. If you did I would have a power balance done on the engine.
Good Luck with it.

#9 ·
U joint happened to my 05 I did both right away and put moot greaseable ones

#14 ·
Um.............NOPE

#11 ·
Get some Archoil and put it in the oil, run it for about 200 miles or so and see if you notice a difference.

#13 ·
:popcorn: :look:

#16 ·
had a f350 super duty w/ 6.0. It would shudder between 40-45 mph. I thought it was suspension or drive line. It took awhile to solve. I am not saying that this is your problem. What I will say is that it WAS my problem. So this won't hurt to try, it won't take you long, and it was a inexpensive fix for me. Start engine and bring up to temp. With engine running use IR temp gun to take temp readings at (8) locations where exhaust manifold exits head. If one of the readings is cold, that's the cylinder with a bad injector. (no contribution test required)

Replace o rings at HP oil rails while you are in there as you have to pull it to swap bad injector. To repeat, I am not saying this is your problem. I am saying that was my problem and solution to the 40-45 mph shudder. I fixed it in a few hours time. I hope this may help someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.