Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Emissions and Reliability

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  BM_06F250 
#1 ·
Many friends and family members run 6.0 PSD deleted and bullet proofed, and they are awesome and super reliable. But we have a 6.0 shop truck that has to pass emissions here in Commifornia. It has 150k miles and its been to Ford a few times for EGR issues and the heads have been replaced by Ford once already. I have read up on bullet proof EGR coolers, and oil coolers etc. What I want to know if its possible to do all the bullet proofing and leave the emissions crap and have the same reliability as a deleted 6.0?? We would really like to keep this truck, but it just seems when we need it most, its sitting at Ford. Is anyone running the emissions stuff with studs and all the other bullet proof goodies? Thanks guys!

#2 ·
The bullet-proof stuff will increase reliability but not as far as a bullet-proofed and deleted 6.0. You can however, do a sneaky EGR delete and that involves getting an SCT with custom tunes to disable the EGR and when inspection time comes flash it back to stock drive 100 miles or so then get it inspected.

#3 ·
Another option is getting a hardened EGR cooler that will last a lifetime and beyond (see BPD) and then plugging the EGR valve port with an aluminum spool. I did this because I wanted to have a complete EGR system intact in case I needed it for resale/DOT/etc. but am not at all interested in the EGR concept on a day-to-day basis.

I don't worry about my EGR cooler at all because a) it's built right and b) the exhaust gases are deadending at the valve location - so I doubt that it gets much hotter than the compartment itself.

You can get them on eBay.

Reactions: j.mo
#8 ·
This is what I've done ^^

But, I had to tear down one of my trucks to fix a leaking egr o ring, it's an 06 with 281k, bpd egr and studs etc installed at 135k, and I doubt the shop cleaned the intake manifold during the process, I pulled the egr cooler and intake manifold to clean while I was there. I'll say it was damn clean for having the emissions system intact for all those miles. Hardly anything came out of the egr cooler other than a light layer of soot, and I mean, very light. And as for the intake manifold it was just about the same, a little bit of sticky oil and a light layer of soot, and the egr valve looked no different than one I pulled out with a couple hundred miles on it. So idk how or what people do to their trucks that get them horribly gunked up, or really after seeing for myself 280k miles of emissions equipment installed, why people get so up in arms over it.

That being said, my other truck was plugged with the spool as soon as my bpd cooler and new intake manifold/heads were installed lol

#4 ·
You don't have a lot of options really, if you have to get it smogged you need it complete. Welding up the exhaust ports on the EGR cooler will most likely throw a cel from lack of intake manifold pressure. Think 2003-2004 you can do without engine light coming on.

Here's your options:
Register it in a no smog county
Put back to stock.

#5 ·
Were in the same boat up here in Ontario , Canada . We have California based emissions standards . I have discussed this in other threads but nobody seems to respond . Now the subject is popping up more and more as the " noose " tightens nationwide .
The laws will have to be the same everywhere or you won't be able to travel state to state and up here in Canada .
I imagine sooner than later your states will have what we have , random roadside inspection were they do a visual for system tampering
and a OBD hook up to verify EGR function.
Get caught once - fine . Get caught twice , they pull the plates , fine and possibly impound .
For the past few years if you go to a local fair to see truck / tractor pulls you have to pass an inspection area before even getting on the
fairgrounds .
You can thank the " rollin' coal crowd " for the extra scrutiny .
I'm a believer that if you filter the CCV system and get the wet out of the system , a lot of issues will be avoided when running a BPD'd
emission system .

#6 ·
No evil rules here in Alberta yet, in spite of Notley's attempts to kill everything run by fossil fuels. Anything she enacts will be shut down come 2019 when the next election occurs. I believe even Vancouver dropped Aircare a few years ago.

But admit it, everything in Canada is better west of the Manitoba-Ontario border.

Reactions: HP MACHINE
#9 ·
I still cant understand that province ( Alberta ) swinging hard left
after 40 years of Conservative . She will do a lot of damage in her
term that will take years to undo ( if it can be undone ) .
They did a survey out their and a majority of the population is in
favor of a " carbon tax " ( just like Ontario ) . Really ? , where are these
idiots coming from ?

#7 ·
Funny how California is known for the tough smog laws. But if you look at the map of the state 2\3 of the state is NOT in the smog program. Only the developed areas in the state participate in the smog program. I don't think that it will change much either there are so many low population areas that it's not feasible.
So register it in a no smog county in the state your in..........

#11 ·
^^^
OT: I'm not real familiar with Canadian politics, but if your provinces still have reasonable autonomy and self rule, by all means necessary, keep those nut jobs out of office that would seek to change that. Our U.S. was founded on the principles of State and individual rights and the Federal government was never meant to have the power that it has created for itself over the years. It's written clearly in our Constitution, but the politicians and left wing idiots have screwed the whole thing up so bad it may never get fixed. I'm certain it will not happen in my lifetime. We are in the situation we are in because good hard working people didn't have the time or see the need until it was too late to fix or stop much of the ill conceived ideas and laws that we now must suffer through. Keep Canada Great! That way you won't have to "Make Canada Great Again!".

#14 ·
One volcanic eruption can release as much noxious gases and pollutants into the atmosphere all at once as our vehicles do over a very long period of time. I'm not saying that it's a good idea to "roll coal", but let's put things into perspective. 150 years ago there was a fire in the fireplace of nearly every residence that burned nearly 24 hours a day. So there's always something. As the population increases, there are more people to create more pollutants, it's just the way it is. Weather patterns change too. Were humans the cause of the previous "ice ages"? I'm a conservationist, I truly believe that we shouldn't waste our resources, but I'm also a realist too. Are we as a race affecting the environment? Sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we're condemning our planet to it's ultimate peril. The planet is pretty resilient and has proven that over the millennia. We need to do better, I agree, but I also don't think an EGR system on a turbo diesel is the ultimate answer to our problems.

#15 ·
LOL I think it's way deeper then one deleted EGR system.
Honestly I used to baa humbug all the science on global warming ECT. I've done a fair amount of research in the last few years mainly out of concerns brought on from the changes in the climate where I have lived my entire life. The more I learn the more I'm sure we are responsible for what's happening.
I also think all of the pavement we are laying down and buildings we erect that are holding heat is also contributing to our problem.

Cut the population to 1 billion people lol and we would not have a impact on our world. Even at our current technology. We have also pumped a fair amount of nuclear pollution onto the planet from the 700+ tests or playing with big fireworks or whatever you want to call it, including two in the stratosphere.

As far as a volcano blowing it's top I welcome it because it would inject a large percentage of sulfur dioxide and would cool the planet significantly. lol
Krakatoa created the little ice age, maybe it's a good time for another one to blow. As long as it's not Yellowstone...................

I think this is for another forum so I will end it here. Besides I don't want the smog $hit on my truck anymore then anyone else.

For OP put a BPD EGR cooler on your truck and put a ELC coolant in your truck. That's the best you can do, do NOT run the Ford Gold or you will have oil cooler and EGR cooler failures. Just a matter of time of when.
Or register the truck in a no smog county.
Good Luck with it.

#16 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions. I think we are going to go with the BPD EGR cooler. Of course all the other proofing stuff will come along. Truck is doing good now, but I know its only a matter of time. I hope we can get at least another 100k miles out of it before we decide to just cut it lose.

I dont mind too much about the newer trucks having emissions crap on them. Seems like all manufactures have it figured out enough to where they arent such a big problem anymore. My 6.7 has all the emissions crap and not a single issue after 20k miles. Again, thank you everyone who chimed in. When the work gets done I will update on how it goes and how its working out.

#17 ·
Deleting the EGR increases NOx gases and NOx gasses cause "NOx emissions cause global cooling through the formation of •OH radicals that destroy methane molecules, countering the effect of greenhouse gases."

Next, if you think humans are responsible for the planet changing rapidly what about all those wooly mammoths that are frozen in ice it didn't go from mildly cold to super cold slowly it was a rapid change. Also, the average temperature of Mars is on the rise also and the only thing we have done to that is put some solar powered robots on it.......WAIT OH MY GOSH it's not fossil fuels warming our planet it the solars panels.

Reactions: HP MACHINE
#18 ·
LOL I knew I shouldn't have kicked that sleeping dog.......... Don't get me wrong I'm no tree hugger. I just think there's too damn many people on the planet. I have no illusions about the cause of the climate change. It's waay out of my control and sure there are natural changes going on as well.
As far as the Woolley Mammoths go I'm sure Krakatoa or some volcano somewhere let her rip and in a big way to ice things up like it did. They estimated the ice was a mile deep in New York.
But I think a lot of those guys that try to come up with explanations for this and that are full of $hit half the time.

Good Luck on your truck it will go for a long time with a BPD oil cooler in it. They have a lifetime warranty on them for a good reason......they last. Just make sure to dump the Gold coolant.

#20 ·
I refuse to take sides in the global warming debate, except to say it IS happening. Whether it is human caused or natural is still up in the air in my mind. We certainly aren't helping the situation, but that doesn't mean we are causing it.

At this point, the best plan is to prepare for the inevitable changes. If we really are causing global warming, our last chance to reverse it came and went years before many of us were even born. No point trying to stop an avalanche once it already started.

Reactions: onealmx11
#21 ·
Considering that the Earths climate goes through hot and cold cycles (other than summer and winter) and the average temperature of Mars is rising with ours (do to the suns active and inactive cycles I'm not going any farther into it) I do not think we are the cause. We may affect it the but the amount we affect it is so small it's probably in the margin of error. Also in the 70s it was global cooling, a couple of years ago global warming, now it's climate change.

Everyone has their opinion and unlike the people out yelling the end is near we are going to burn to death I will respect the neutral and very slightly climate change is our fault opinions.

#22 ·
I know it's bull @#$ when I'm forced to listen to Al , Leonardo , Hillary , Obama and the rest of the glazed over pieces of @#@$# that are pumping this !!!!!!!! . Everyday it's another hit to your freedoms and your wallet .
Most of the " science " their using is based on a lie and their counting on their lemmings to fall in line .The scary part is the
hushing of anybody that questions it , from scientists , energy companies and the population ( you and me ) .

#23 ·
EGR Cooler

I have an intact egr cooler and if u read the BPD site in its entirety u would see that their theory is that a clogged oil cooler increases temps to destroy the egr. That the egr doesn't just break as the weak link. Their theory is the oil cooler is the weak link. If you are replacing your oil cooler with a BPD external model I dont think u would have issues if u replace your egr also. I put in a different oil cooler when I replaced my egr and did head studs and am now looking into going with BPD external oil cooler. If u havent already gone to their website, then u should go and read and see what have done all their R&D on and why they sell what they sell. I think they have a good track record. I am also going to replace my stock water pump impeller and when my FICM voltage shows irregular on my Livewire then I will replace that also. Are u currently monitoring the vitals of your truck so u know whats going on with it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.